General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Direction needed for 8th gen car buyer plse

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jomigunne is an unknown quantity at this point
Direction needed for 8th gen car buyer plse

I have a budget of as high as 10k. I drive 108 mi / 5 days a week, so it needs to be very fuel efficient. Almost all mi.are hwy miles.
There is a large array of options, trim level, and engine choices. I am replacing a jetta tdi which always got abt 44 mpg hwy. I have read of civic owners saying they averaged over 40 mpg hwy. Looks like there are almost no 1.3 liter and hybrid vrrsions available. Plenty of LX, DX, and EX available. My jetta developed 140hp, i need a car that matches that, as my jetta could pull my 5x8 trailer lightly loaded, no problem.

Old 07-09-2021
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Direction needed for 8th gen car buyer plse

The 140hp isn't the reason you could pull the trailer. It's the 200+ ft-lbs of torque it was making. No civic for under 10k makes that level of torque. I don't think there's a Honda that will accomplish both 40mpg and the ability to tow a small trailer at the same time. For what you're doing, I'd probably stay with a TDI.
Old 07-09-2021
Registered!!

So if I want45 mpg hwy and the capability to pull a small trailer, there is no other option than to stick with jetta tdi?
the main reason i did not want to replace my 06 jetta tdi with another one is that it has that dual mass flywheel that has a very limited lifetime. When i had my current jetta tdi only a short time and was at 120k mi., i found that it had the tdi dmf flywheel "rattle of death". I wasnt going to spend 2 or 3k to get it fixed, replaced it myself. Huge job! Never again. Well, to fit my budget, a replacement tdi will have over 100k, and the car salesman wont be able to tell me if its been replaced. Cant trust anything they say anyway. Ditto for private seller. They are more likely to know, but could lie about it. Other than that, its the most reliable car I've ever owned. At 68, im just plain too old to take on such a big repair again. The other reason is that jettas with diesel eng are scarcer than hens teeth. And the ones i have found so far have been either the max mileage i'd consider, or are over budget. A big dilemma!
Old 07-09-2021
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

If you want 40mpg while towing a trailer, I can't think of another car that could do it. You need a diesel to do that, and I don't believe there is a diesel Honda in the North American market. The only diesel cars that come to mind are the TDI and the diesel Chevrolet Cruze (maybe a BMW too, but that would be a maintenance nightmare). Honestly, I still think the TDI is your best option, unless you're willing to sacrifice some MPG.
The following 2 users liked this post by FRSam:
GolNat (07-12-2021), tradosaurus (08-21-2021)
Old 07-09-2021
Registered!!

Of course the mpg was much much lower on rare occasions when towing the trailer. I dont know....its a crap shoot whether i get a replacement tdi with a sound dmf, or one thats going to fail in another 50k miles.
Old 07-09-2021
Click Here

Not sure what else to tell you. These cars aren't designed to tow. They're relatively gutless cars meant to be conservative.
The following users liked this post:
GolNat (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yeah man that’s Diesel all day. Not gonna find that in a gas powered car. How much and how often are you towing? Are you towing long distances?
Old 07-28-2021
Registered!!

firestarter99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Camry
Old 07-28-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

look into Mazda - the skyactive engine have a lot more torque than regular gas ones.
and they are cheaper than Toyota or Honda

if you are towing, maybe the CX5 or (pushing the matter, CX-3).
sedans are really not into towing trailers
incidentally i have a '15 CX-5 with 2.0, it can handle the heavy body better than other SUV of that year (not like a diesel low end torque, though, mind you)
The following users liked this post:
tradosaurus (08-21-2021)
Old 08-16-2021
Registered!!

R3KogHyZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
look into Mazda - the skyactive engine have a lot more torque than regular gas ones.
But check for rust, and set aside a budget to get it properly undersealed !
Old 08-21-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tradosaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

How often are you needing to pull a 5 x 8 trailer? If very seldom rent a truck if frequently probably want to bump up to a V6 engine.

I'm with the other poster and staying with your VW diesel.