10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Fit Cold Air on 1.5L Civic Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffie1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fit Cold Air on 1.5L Civic Turbo

Does anyone know if the Honda Fit Cold Air Intake that is CARB certified for California would fit the 2018 Honda Civic Si? Same size engine, 1.5L, but I know the layout is a little different. Does anyone know if this is possible or would even make sense? Would the intake become non-certified once it's installed on the Civic? And would installing a cold air intake void the Honda Powertrain Warranty? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fit Cold Air on 1.5L Civic Turbo

Won't work. Layout is considerably different, actually. The only real similarities is the fact that they're both L15B-series engines. Maybe something about the block, but that's pretty much it.

On the Fit, the throttle body sits above the engine, just to the left of center in the engine bay. pretty straight shot intake routing.

On the Civic turbo, the throttle body sits back behind the engine. In fact, a CAI will go from the driver's side fenderwell, across the front of the engine bay by the radiator support, connect to the plastic turbo inlet piping, and make that weird 180-degree bend into the turbo inlet. From there, it snakes down the passenger side to the intercooler, then from the intercooler, it snakes back up the driver's side, under the stock intake box, runs alongside the engine, and a slight turn into the throttle body, which, as mentioned, sits behind the engine.. for the most part.

Most intakes out there for the 10thgen run about $400. There's a DIY guide in my signature for a DIY SRI (which should work for the Si engine, too. May be some size differences in the MAF housing, but I'm not 100% on that one), and that ran me all of $60 (I had an AutoZone gift card to use on the filter) to get the sound I wanted. Intakes won't do much, truth be told. I honestly did the intake because I have a turbocharged car, and I wanted to hear the turbo spool and the woosh sound of the BPV. All it takes is buying a spare air cleaner cover for like 20-30 bucks, hacking it up a bit, and slapping a $60 filter on it.

If you're dead set on performance for the L15B7, and you're looking at an intake, save your money. Hondata has a CARB legal flashpro for the 10thgen Civic turbo, and it runs $495.

As far as voiding warranty, they have to prove the part you installed caused the problem. Take that with a grain of salt, since dealerships would likely try and extrapolate data to prove that any mod you toss on caused the issues. You can also go through the hassle of returning to stock to avoid any issues, too. At least with the flashpro, you can always flash back to stock. lol

Bonus information: the LX/EX/Sport/ST engine and the Si engines are actually pretty much the same. The Si comes with a different tune, beefier rods, a turbo with a different exhaust wheel (20.3si vs 16.5psi), a digital (vs. analog in non-Si models) MAF sensor and a different muffler/tailpipe. Between your car (Si) and my car (Sport Hatch), there's only a 25hp difference (205hp vs 180hp). For $450 (price of a KTuner V1.2), I can get more power than a stock Si.

edit: from the looks of it, 27WON is looking to get their intake CARB certified. I like the design of their intake (filter box sits in the OEM location, but primary suction is from the fenderwell -- kinda a hybrid CAI/SRI, if you will. Here's a link to it). Vincent (company owner) has been very adamant about using the 10thgen community's feedback into designing his stuff. He has an aftermarket turbo assembly designed from scratch, downpipe, front pipe, rear motor mount. He designing an exhaust system for the 10thgen hatch, all while using his sport hatch as the guinea pig for R&D.
I'm not sure if PRL motorsports has looked into getting their intake CARB legal, but it has been one of the go-to's for the 10thgen community. That, and all their other products -- intercooler, front pipe, downpipe, rear motor mount, etc. They were cool enough to let me use their intake install pics in my SRI DIY guide, too.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 09-11-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fit Cold Air on 1.5L Civic Turbo

Honda Fit Cold Air Intake that is CARB certified for California
It's only CARB certified for the Fit.
I bet that installing it on something other than the Fit it was certified for would be considered an illegal modification.