Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Intake off turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Intake off turbo

I was wondering if anybody has tried to run thier intake pipeing so where the air is taken in behind the bumper like i ingen CAI placement is. wil; lit make much of a diffrence? Or will it not becasue that is what the intercooler is for cool the air. just wondering.
Old 10-16-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it would be a good idea... It would have a longer with more bends intake pipe. You don't want that.
Old 10-16-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
yeah that makes sense. but after it builds pressure it really should matter how long the pipe is right?
Old 10-16-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

jcem will become famous soon enoughjcem will become famous soon enough
I read an article (I think in Sport Compact Car) a while back that said that running a CAI into a turbo is a good idea. I wish I had the article here because they had a formula showing how warm air being compressed gained more heat than cold air being compressed the same amount.
Old 10-16-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
^ it makes sense, air heats up when being compressed (which is why a lean mixture causes detonation) so if you start out with colder air to begin with your good to go. but wouuld you really wanna risk water sucked into your turbo and all that........yikes.
Old 10-16-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
^ it makes sense, air heats up when being compressed (which is why a lean mixture causes detonation) so if you start out with colder air to begin with your good to go. but wouuld you really wanna risk water sucked into your turbo and all that........yikes.
i was just curious because i need to go get a new axel back made up, and they could also do a new intake pipe if i wanted to just thinking about makeing the air a little cooler, rather than haveing it sit right on top of the tranny like it is.
Old 10-16-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
i was just curious because i need to go get a new axel back made up, and they could also do a new intake pipe if i wanted to just thinking about makeing the air a little cooler, rather than haveing it sit right on top of the tranny like it is.
You could do it, and let us know how it is. Every car is differnt. But the longer the pipe, the less power.

I mean you have an intercooler for a reason. So, there really isn't much need for a cai.

Cut a hole in the hood. Run a turbo like a drag car. Top mounted turbo! YES! That would so rock!

cliff notes, I'm a bit tipsy.
Old 10-16-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Blahman240
You could do it, and let us know how it is. Every car is differnt. But the longer the pipe, the less power.

I mean you have an intercooler for a reason. So, there really isn't much need for a cai.

Cut a hole in the hood. Run a turbo like a drag car. Top mounted turbo! YES! That would so rock!

cliff notes, I'm a bit tipsy.
hahaha someone is fit shaced!
Old 10-16-2005
Once you go Black on Black, You Never Go Back.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robo1040 will become famous soon enough
i dont run a intake tube at all on my turbo
Old 10-16-2005
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
Air temp isn't what causes detonation (in most cases), it's the amount of air to fuel and ignition timing that causes detonation. Hot air doesn't cause a lean mixture, a lack of fuel does. Cooler air is more dense, ie; the cooler the air is, the more of it will fit into a given space. Denser air makes more power. That's why your car makes more power on a cooler day than a hotter one. If you think about it, hotter air is less dense, requiring less fuel to properly burn, so hotter air is less likely to cause a lean condition, cooler air is more likely to.
Old 10-16-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
isn't denser ait the whole point of a turbo? it compresses the cylinder so there is more air for the explosion of the gas?
Old 10-17-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
the newer SF kits back in the day had a cold air pipe option... the pipe would run from the turbo inlet all the way to the back of the firewall...

i read somewhere that every 3 degrees of heat = 1whp... if you can cool the intake charge by using a cold air intake, especially in a forced induction setting, you will see a minor performance gain...
Old 10-17-2005
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by booba5185
isn't denser ait the whole point of a turbo? it compresses the cylinder so there is more air for the explosion of the gas?
Denser, more compressed air. It doesn't compress the cylinder, the cylinder remains unchanged. The turbocharger compresses air from the exhaust and from the intake and routes it back into the engine through the intake manifold. At this point, more fuel needs to be added to compensate for the added air. You don't want the gas to explode, that is what is known as detonation, you want the mixture to burn as efficiently as possible, hence having a good a/f ratio.
Old 10-17-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
and if you are worried about longer piping being more restrictive, just make the pipe a larger diameter. I made a CAI on a supercharged 5.0 mustang out of 4.5" stainless before. worked great. He said he felt a good gain.

Andy is right. When you compress air at a lower temperature, the air is denser. The denser the air, the more air you physically have going into the cylinder.

It is the same concept as night and day. I know all you turbo guys LOVE driving at night because you feel that 5-10 whp gain from the colder air. This is the same concept.
Old 10-17-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by andyman97
Air temp isn't what causes detonation (in most cases), it's the amount of air to fuel and ignition timing that causes detonation. Hot air doesn't cause a lean mixture, a lack of fuel does. Cooler air is more dense, ie; the cooler the air is, the more of it will fit into a given space. Denser air makes more power. That's why your car makes more power on a cooler day than a hotter one. If you think about it, hotter air is less dense, requiring less fuel to properly burn, so hotter air is less likely to cause a lean condition, cooler air is more likely to.
no no no, i understand allllll of that trust me. thats not waht i was implying though, i was just saying since we start out with a lean mixture anyways hot air will just make it detonate, a lean mixture will heat up alot sooner and if the air mixed in is hot to begin with the mixture will reach its limit sooner.