Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

2004 Civic DX Intake/exhaust/headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ArabianOak is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic DX Intake/exhaust/headers

Hello Gang,

My oldest son got a 2004 civic dx (automatic trans) for his 16th bday. He's had it about 7 months and now wants some "go faster" parts for his car. We ordered the following for him.

Spec D System Exhaust (stainless) with titanium blue tip

Stainless headers

Velocity Intake

My question is, will I need to get tuning done? If so who could you rec'd in the Chicagoland are OR is there a decent mail order tune I can get?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Civic DX Intake/exhaust/headers

you could try but you most likely wouldn't see/notice any difference, car will just be louder
Old 01-30-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin42
you could try but you most likely wouldn't see/notice any difference, car will just be louder
..If you purchased Ebay headers they are junk and will most likely crack within six months. Plus you may run into fitment issues. Engine swap or forced induction (turbo, supercharger) is the only way for power gains.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-30-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Loudness increases

Actual power/performance and fuel economy decreases

LOL
Old 01-31-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

More like 1-5hp loss in the low end, no gain mid range, and a slight gain of 1-4hp at the top (>6000RPM; D17 has a 6800RPM redline and 7200RPM rev limit).

If you D17A2 head swap and crower stage 1 cam it, you'll see combined results. There's a dyno sheet floating around the internet of a D17A2 (stock, 127BHP/110WHP) basically recouping losses from the transmission (i.e. making ~127whp after intake/header/exhaust with a crower stage 1). Should also mention it was a gain across the RPM band, not just low/mid/high.
Old 01-31-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

No need tune. ECU will not accept tune anyway.
1-5 HP if much.

Wait, does the header on DX like the LX? If so, it have a cat in it. If the new header don't have the cat, you better check your local emissions law.

It will be louder.
Old 01-31-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Ah, even the head, stage 1 cam that is mentioned above does not need tune.
Old 01-31-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yeah sandro, dx/lx have the same exh mani. You know this. lol