Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

car sputters after being left off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
piotr is an unknown quantity at this point
car sputters after being left off.

Hey everyone! forgive me if this has been covered else where however i'm new and I couldn't find it.

I got my 2002 civic si about a month ago and the problem it has is as follows! The car starts and runs amazing, no problems at all; however! if the car is turned off for anywhere from a few minutes up to about 45 minutes then when it starts again it has no power and stutters and stumbles until about half a minute of me reving it to about 6g's passes.

As an example, if I leave my driveway and go to the store, spend 10 minutes to an hour in the store, get back in my car and start it the damn thing barely runs until it "catches" in about 30 seconds. If the car is parked for a few hours then it starts and runs like a dream!

any ideas?
Old 06-23-2013
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: car sputters after being left off.

Do you have the service records?

You need to figure out if this is a fuel, spark or timing issue.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5045801_fix-...ar-engine.html
Old 06-24-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Mine didn't sputter, but I lost most of my power for the first couple minutes after starting cold when my upstream 02 censor was bad. When I would give it 70% throttle or so it would jump to life since it was running off the fuel map and not the 02 readings. Under that amount it would feel like it was bogged down and the revs would be super low.
Old 06-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Old thread is old, but I'd think about a fuel pressure check.

Specifically looking for if it can retain residual pressure after the engine is shut off. If it bleeds off pressure before the engine cools down, the fuel boils in the rail and you end up with -- essentially -- vapor lock.