Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

lx stock exhaust to full ex exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smokedcivic2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
lx stock exhaust to full ex exhaust

anyone know if i can put an aftermarket ex exhaust on a lx sedan? the seller says it does not fit but i just want to see what you guys thint . it is a full exhaust includind header, down pipe and cat back. thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: lx stock exhaust to full ex exhaust

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...iy-faq-11.html

see my post in there for pics...
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you get manifold back then yes it will fit. However, the LX has a catalytic converter/exhaust manifold in one and the size is much different than an EX. Which has separate manifold/cat combo. This is the main reason it will not fit.

For a full LX to EX conversion you need:

Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter
Catback exhaust.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

thanks for the info i think i'll buy the kit and if i have to modify a little its not a big deal. i just wanted to make sure it would bolt to the block.
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it bolts onto the head, but yes it will with a new manifold

There isn't really much modification to be done but make sure you price out a new catalytic converter before you decide to do the swap. The converter might cost you more than your entire aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

do i have to have the cat? i allready had emissions done and im saving the whole system so i can change back come time to do emissions again.
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

If you don't mind polluting like crazy. The catalytic converter is the main pollution cleaner on the car. I don't recommend running with no cat but if you wanted to I suppose you could.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

I used a vibrant high flow cat. Was only $106. The o2 sensor wires need to be extended too.
Old 02-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Be vary of this crap:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/01-05-ALL-HON...item4cfe970a0e

It's not a real catalytic converter. It's more likely than not a hollow test pipe that will not clean emissions at all. That being said, if the vibrant one was only 106 dollars it was probably a hollow test pipe as well.
Old 02-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Be vary of this crap:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/01-05-ALL-HON...item4cfe970a0e

That being said, if the vibrant one was only 106 dollars it was probably a hollow test pipe as well.
Dont give advice based on assumptions. Vibrant makes a quality product for the dollar. Ill post a pic up tommorrow of the cat... I took a pic before I had it welded up. Dont bash something if you dont know anything about it. they come in bigger sizes, but I opted for the 2" high flow round body cat. Its stainless and functions and flows well.

I reccomended it because I bought the same kind of ebay downpipe off a friend and cut the fake cat off and had j&h weld a flex pipe,then cat and a bung for o2 after it. All together was still mad cheap and 100% legal.
Old 02-22-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Pardon me for making assumptions, but I assure you can't get a quality catalytic converter for 106 dollars. I'm not known for giving crap advice. However, if you can prove me wrong that you have a true working cat for 106 dollars that passes emissions and doesn't pollute I will gladly be proven wrong and be ordering the same one myself. You can get a universal catalytic converter for about that much but it has to be welded on and such. Not sure how much a shop would charge to do that, but I'm guessing 100 ish dollars so your looking at 206 for a new cat not bad My reference above was for direct fit cats.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Pardon me for making assumptions, but I assure you can't get a quality catalytic converter for 106 dollars. I'm not known for giving crap advice. However, if you can prove me wrong that you have a true working cat for 106 dollars that passes emissions and doesn't pollute I will gladly be proven wrong and be ordering the same one myself. You can get a universal catalytic converter for about that much but it has to be welded on and such. Not sure how much a shop would charge to do that, but I'm guessing 100 ish dollars so your looking at 206 for a new cat not bad My reference above was for direct fit cats.
No hostility intended sorry. It is a universal cat. I paid $106 for the cat, $65 for the ss 2 1/4 downpipe shipped, $44 for a 2 1/4 magnaflow resonator off a discount site, $35 for a gt racing ss 2 1/4 to 3" muffler. Then I paid $280 to have a shop make Up the piping and they added a flex pipe and bung for the o2. The cat didnt have a o2 hole. So I paid about $500 for a full exhaust to my design minus the header. not sure what other shops charge for a few welds, but my buddy had a cat welded in his neon for $70
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Was $280 including bung, flex pipe, piping, brackets and welds/labor
Old 02-22-2012
Whachya lookin at?

That's not bad. However, if you have a mechanic friend you can buy a direct fit cat for cheaper. In fact I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who can order one for 260 dollars+ taxes. That's a great price but unfortunately aftermarket catalytic converters even direct fit are nowhere near as good as OEM when it comes to quality. However, I'm not paying 1000+ for a cat HA!

Your just proving deals can be had if your careful and patient, and I like that.

Those prices are here in Canada where everything is quite a bit more expensive. Mechanics get parts for less than half price of what we regular people pay for them.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

That's not bad. However, if you have a mechanic friend you can buy a direct fit cat for cheaper. In fact I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who can order one for 260 dollars+ taxes. That's a great price but unfortunately aftermarket catalytic converters even direct fit are nowhere near as good as OEM when it comes to quality. However, I'm not paying 1000+ for a cat HA!

Your just proving deals can be had if your careful and patient, and I like that.

Those prices are here in Canada where everything is quite a bit more expensive. Mechanics get parts for less than half price of what we regular people pay for them.
Yea it helps to know someone. Im an aUtomotive and diesel tech, but I dnt get any discounts haha. Well I cant speak for canada, but I find its cheaper to have one made with universal parts, but id say its more reliable( welds wont rust) for a "direct fit" part. The anodized aluminum exhaust is heavier than stainless as well because its not as thin material. Just dont rule it out as an option. Im happy with mine. I believe I have a pic of it as my profile pic..
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...dc-sports.html

I neglected to update that thread after I finished the job, but I did convert my '05 LX sedan to an EX setup. You can read the thread for the details, but here's what I finally ended up with and my estimation of the cost of the parts.

I had the LX stock header which went down through the pipe, under the car, and I had a gash from something in the road. I replaced most of the pipe with custom piping and an HKS Hi-Power Muffler. New piping and muffler w/install came out to roughly $700, though I think I had other things done then.

Then my header cracked. I bought a DC Sports 4-1 header for about $320. I refused to delete my cat, even though my tuning shop said they do it all the time and just install an O2 bypass sensor. I bought the cat for an EX for $625 (screw the dealer, found a OEM supplier online). The O2 extension came from a reputable eBay seller for about $25. Head gaskets and bolts, about $20-$30 from the Honda dealer. Take it to a muffler shop, they should replace your header, attach the cat, etc. for about $125-$150.

It would probably be better to do it all the way instead of piece by piece. I did it like that because that was my philosophy on modding the car. Instead of tossing perfectly good parts, wait for something to go out and then buy a better replacement. Not sound advice for your wallet where the exhaust is concerned.

Dezod Motorsports has a hi-flow cat setup for our Civics. I hear great stuff about it and it's cheaper than buying an EX Cat Converter. Might be worth looking into.

Hope this helps! This question is old as time immemorial, but I've found this forum to be very helpful in deciding what to do.
Old 02-23-2012
Whachya lookin at?

You got an OEM Honda catalytic converter for 625 dollars? Well done. This is the cheapest I've found it.. 800ish: +150 Core charge of course.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/find-...%20-%20MUFFLER
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to this site for it, but man the prices have jacked up! EVERYTHING I was planning to get from these guys is expensive now. I must have hit a sale or something.

www.dealerdirectparts.com

It comes out over 1k now. F- that.
Old 02-23-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Prices have increased and core charges now apply probably Thats 150 right there.
Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

hernana3 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get manifold back then yes it will fit. However, the LX has a catalytic converter/exhaust manifold in one and the size is much different than an EX. Which has separate manifold/cat combo. This is the main reason it will not fit.

For a full LX to EX conversion you need:

Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter
Catback exhaust.

Hope that helps.
I have a 97 Civic lx and can’t Find **** for a catback I need some help and kind of confused

Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You managed to restart a 6 yr old thread for a different type of car but you can’t google 1997 Honda Civic LX catback?
Old 09-08-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and a 97 is not a 7th generation...

well, he did say he is confused, and it seem to be more than about cars.
Old 09-11-2018
Registered!!

Davidian304 is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a spec-d exhaust from pro tuning labs
i didnt read correctly and bought cause it was on sale(lol)
it was for a dx so ill i had to do was get a custom piece made to connect cat to pipe roughly 3 feet: 4 flanges and a flex pipe i know sounds botched but if welded correctly it looks and hides pretty well