Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

EVO 2 resonator buzz

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light
EVO 2 resonator buzz

Has anyone else with the evo2 midpipe had an annoying metallic rattling or buzzing sound when they step on the gas? (It sounds like it's coming from inside the resonator.)If so did you fix it and how? i suppose i could also ask does anyone know what's making this noise and how i might fix it? Thanks
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light
Re: EVO 2 resonator buzz

anyone?
Old 06-12-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

i dont get any rattling from my evo2...
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

xxxcivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

i get the same noise...someone fix it!
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

i've read on honda-tech that it might be a loose baffle (or a bad baffle) inside the resonator.. can anyone confirm this theory, and is it fixable? I've only had the exhaust on for 3 days so idk if i could return it....i bought it from truehonda like 3 or 4 months ago and was finally able to put it on this weekend.
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough

i use to have that sound but my evo2 didnt have any flange/gaskets. bought some at pep boys and once i put them on the sound was gone.
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

hmm... i do have on the gasket that came with the evo2 so maybe i'll try another gasket i have that's not what appears to be metal.
Old 06-13-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

i got a new gasket from pepboys as soon as i got it. i bought it used off ruffryde009. just bring in whatever gasket you have now and have them get an exhaust gasket that matches it. im pretty sure i got a Mitsubishi talon one or something like that.
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

its probably leaking air at the resonator connector. Get a new gasket, won't hurt if you try that. good luck
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

thanks i'mma do it right now
Old 06-27-2007
Registered!!

well new gasket didn't work... I had to call greddy and get an RMA so i can send the pipe back for them to examine...
Old 06-27-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

is it your heat shield? like well does the evo 2 have a heat shield?? n e wayz, i know my vic was rattling a while back and it ticked me off, but all it was was one tie for my heat shield under meh car just needed to be tightened.
Old 06-27-2007
Registered!!

GMusicLife is an unknown quantity at this point

idk if this has anything to do with my evo2 exhaust but I am getting a rattle during downshifts at 3500rpm, anyone have some insight on that?
Old 06-27-2007
Registered!!

01EXGUY will become famous soon enough

ha!!!! im not the only one!!! mine has the same metal to metal noise, and when i checked everything out, it was fine.....no loose connections or flanges and plenty of clearance around all the piping. it doesnt do it all the time though just once every few days but its soooooooo friggin annoying........we need to figure this s*@# out!
Old 06-27-2007
Registered!!

I also thought it was my heat shield so to make sure of it i coated the top of all of the stock heatshields with silicone and they don't make a sound now....but alas it was not that. I will be sending my midpipe and i guess muffler into greddy within the next few days so hopefully i can get an answer and help to shed some light on the matter.
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

well if you think that's bad, listen to this lol. when it rains it sounds, and feels like my exhaust is rattling against the bottom of my freakin car! I can feel it in the passenger side floor board! any idea what that is all about? again, it only seems to be when its pretty wet out... hmmmm
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

I had that problem except instead of only doing it when it rained...it did it anytime i let off the accellerator That was on a 3.5hr road trip.... after i got home i readjusted the pipe to sit as far from the underside as i could and it stopped doing that...THANK GOD!! But i've heard geting some longer hangers will fix the raining undercarriage thumps.
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

any idea why it does it?
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

well mine was just a little too close to the car and when weight would shift and resonant frequencies came into effect the midpipe would bend and shake...hitting the car. mine hit just after the bend so i put some silicone where ti hits and that helps.
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

01EXGUY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GMusicLife
well if you think that's bad, listen to this lol. when it rains it sounds, and feels like my exhaust is rattling against the bottom of my freakin car! I can feel it in the passenger side floor board! any idea what that is all about? again, it only seems to be when its pretty wet out... hmmmm
man, that is EXACTLY what mine is doing!! when it rains for some reason it sounds horrible. wonder what the hell this could be?!
Old 07-02-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light

I get a nasty sound from mine when it's raining. It doesn't do it every time it rains, but it is annoying.
Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 01EXGUY
man, that is EXACTLY what mine is doing!! when it rains for some reason it sounds horrible. wonder what the hell this could be?!
guys don't owrry its a common problem, its due to the fact that when it rains the water hits ur exhaust causing the metal to contract and expand, thus causing the vibration.

nothing to worry about. just watch out for puddles. mine does it too. its normal for the evo to do this
Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

yea...i went back to the stock exhaust because of those issues... oh and for my tickets :P
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

Canadian Si will become famous soon enoughCanadian Si will become famous soon enough

I just made a thread about this ! I should os SEARCED 1st But now after reading this I am somewhat glad I am not the only one with this issue & there isn't something wrong with the car. I am still gonna take it to a shop to see if they can adjust it alittle
Old 08-28-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

told u... ur welcome.