Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic d16 starting problem only when it rains

Old 07-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LorenzoC0395 is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Civic d16 starting problem only when it rains

I know it's a long post, But REALLY IN NEED OF HELP HERE,

So Back in february I got the civic. Of course everyone has a few maintenance problems like any used car. Beyond the point. But whenever it rains I have a hard time starting the car or it doesn't start at all sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few minutes to an hour.

A few weeks ago it happened. A bad storm came up and I was coming home in the rain. The next day I went to go start it up and no dice. Anyway in a hurry i decided to leave in my other car. It stormed for a few days but even about a week after it was all done still not good.

The distributor needs to be changed, I did change the spark plugs to see if it helped any at all, and no. I noticed my fuel pump wasn't buzzing any longer during the point where you turn the car on. Automatically I started looking for a solution before buying a new fuel pump. Luckily the seat was already taken out because of redoing the interior. Everything is good though. everything is getting power, everything is grounded, i even tried to starting fluid method. Then I found another thread about resoldering the main relay.

I was going to do this after inspecting the relay in the car, everything seemed to be okay with it. And I turned the car on, and the relay clicked. Fuel pump came on. the car still didnt want to start. I went back under the hood and cleaned the grounding terminals on the thermostat housing just for ***** and giggles. Went back to to try and crank the car back up. and it started like nothing was ever wrong with it.

The only thing I could think of was, what the crap is this... SO afterwards, the car began cranking up like a charm. Fuel pump would come on before cranking up and all. Until Sunday, 7/12, it rained again. And monday again. NO DICE. back to where I started from. Car is having problems starting, again the fuel pump doesn't want to prime on before trying to crank. Completely aggravated I'm unsure with what to do at this point because I fixed it before, but unsure of what I done to really make it work. Should I simply try a new relay?

I told a friend about the problem and everything it's doing their brother had the same problem it seemed like, and he said it may be the intake. Is that possible for it to be the intake? There are 2 screws missing from the intake where the air filter is so maybe? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED AT THIS POINT. I'm in the process of taking 3 summer classes and trying to move so I'm super busy with looking through forums for answers. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS IS APPRECIATED. I won't be replying instantly because of everything going on, but I will try to as quickly as possible to help get this problem fixed..
Old 07-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 93 Civic d16 starting problem only when it rains

My first suspicion for 'won't start when it's wet out' is ignition related, spark leakage...... Distributor cap, the gasket for the cap, and the plug wires

When it's pitch black dark outside ...RUn it, lift the hood and watch the distributor and wires for spark leakage. Gotta do this on the dark. Rev it and see if you see any sparks leaking.

or...
See if you can recreate the wet problem: Get it running on a dry day, make sure it runs GOOD.
Then take a spray bottle of water and mist the distributor cap....see if it stumbles or misfires or dies. If nothing then blip the throttle, see if it misfires. then spray the plug wires from the cap to the valve cover....
That could at least prove it's in the ignition and the general location.