Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoobyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile

Anyone know how this would be fixed? Ill just drive a few blocks to a friends house and all of a sudden 10 more miles are added to the odometer. I'm driving an 89 civic hatch
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile

Does your 89 have a mechanical odometer or is it digital LCD display?
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Did this just start or has it always been this way, or did you just get the car?

(Not that I think you wouldn't know this, but many older cars had odometers that registered 1/10 mile as the last digit.)
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

It's mechanical, and no I don't think the last digit is 1/10th of a mile. I just got the car a few days ago. The girl I bought it from said she never noticed the broken odometer, so it probably just recently happened.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Each one of those wheels with the numbers are a stacked gear. Watch them close and the trip mileage one. Do they both do it. If so, I guess someone has the wrong gear at the transmission where the cable goes in. Hard to believe that would do it. Years ago, you could get different gears since American cars had numerous rear gear ratios. Would not think Honda had that. My guess is there is a broken tooth in the internal gear number wheel.

If you have tons of patients and pretty mechanical You can fix it on the cheap short of replacing it with a junkyard part. (probably find it on ebay) I just took my granddaughters apple I phone down and replaced glass screen, charging port and battery for $13 for China mailed new part..if you can do that, you may be able to fix it free.

You need to pull dash and remove head. Then carefully note milage. Now mentally note and photo it and tear it down marking with Sharpe to get it back together correctly. Pull the gear numbers. You should see apparent problem. If the internal gear is broke, switch that one all the way over if you can or put it in the trip and get a good one from there.

Remember, even taking the dash out of old plastic cars involves risk about breaking plastic or connections. If you are **** and really decide to do it, note any lights out in the dash at night and what position and replace them while you go it out. Good luck and enjoy your new car. Don't let it make you a slave.

I personally would leave well enough alone. Just change the oil every 6 months and be done with it. Who cares how far we go in life..... My milage light is out on my LCD display and I cannot see it at night. Drives me crazy. Ask the wife how long it had been out. Her response was what milage thing.
Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The white number dial in the odometer is tenths of a mile.
The black ones are whole miles.

Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My milage light is out on my LCD display and I cannot see it at night. Drives me crazy. Ask the wife how long it had been out. Her response was what milage thing.
If that's in the CRV there's a bulb you can replace.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If that's in the CRV there's a bulb you can replace.
Thanks, I know..just too lazy since the lower panel needs to come out on an 05 to pull the dash cluster. Been in there long ago when I put OEM fog light on it when it was new. If I got that far, was hoping to reach up but I doubt I can. Wife's car. Only thing she looks at is gas gage. I was sort of waiting for that light or another important light to go out to force the issue. Guess newby and you fixed the one above. Never dawned on me he was reading the first taxi cab wheel for miles .
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know if you figured out how to do the opposite registering 1mile for 12 traveled.
Originally Posted by NoobyKid
Anyone know how this would be fixed? Ill just drive a few blocks to a friends house and all of a sudden 10 more miles are added to the odometer. I'm driving an 89 civic hatch
Old 07-18-2015
Registered!!

Aw jeez... It totally was just the 1/10th dial. Sorry to waste your time everyone, but thanks for bringing that to my attention. Knowing me, I probably would have never realized it.