Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364623-odometer-registering-12-miles-every-1-mile.html)

NoobyKid 07-14-2015 07:46 PM

Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile

Anyone know how this would be fixed? Ill just drive a few blocks to a friends house and all of a sudden 10 more miles are added to the odometer. I'm driving an 89 civic hatch

RIPSAW 07-15-2015 01:20 AM

Re: Odometer registering 12 miles for every 1 mile

Does your 89 have a mechanical odometer or is it digital LCD display?

TiggerDX 07-15-2015 03:05 AM

Did this just start or has it always been this way, or did you just get the car?

(Not that I think you wouldn't know this, but many older cars had odometers that registered 1/10 mile as the last digit.)

NoobyKid 07-15-2015 10:56 AM

It's mechanical, and no I don't think the last digit is 1/10th of a mile. I just got the car a few days ago. The girl I bought it from said she never noticed the broken odometer, so it probably just recently happened.

RIPSAW 07-15-2015 11:46 AM

Each one of those wheels with the numbers are a stacked gear. Watch them close and the trip mileage one. Do they both do it. If so, I guess someone has the wrong gear at the transmission where the cable goes in. Hard to believe that would do it. Years ago, you could get different gears since American cars had numerous rear gear ratios. Would not think Honda had that. My guess is there is a broken tooth in the internal gear number wheel.

If you have tons of patients and pretty mechanical You can fix it on the cheap short of replacing it with a junkyard part. (probably find it on ebay) I just took my granddaughters apple I phone down and replaced glass screen, charging port and battery for $13 for China mailed new part..if you can do that, you may be able to fix it free.

You need to pull dash and remove head. Then carefully note milage. Now mentally note and photo it and tear it down marking with Sharpe to get it back together correctly. Pull the gear numbers. You should see apparent problem. If the internal gear is broke, switch that one all the way over if you can or put it in the trip and get a good one from there.

Remember, even taking the dash out of old plastic cars involves risk about breaking plastic or connections. If you are anal and really decide to do it, note any lights out in the dash at night and what position and replace them while you go it out. Good luck and enjoy your new car. Don't let it make you a slave.

I personally would leave well enough alone. Just change the oil every 6 months and be done with it. Who cares how far we go in life..... My milage light is out on my LCD display and I cannot see it at night. Drives me crazy. Ask the wife how long it had been out. Her response was what milage thing.

ezone 07-15-2015 12:34 PM

The white number dial in the odometer is tenths of a mile.
The black ones are whole miles.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...540/83J8nw.jpg

ezone 07-15-2015 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RIPSAW (Post 4689187)
My milage light is out on my LCD display and I cannot see it at night. Drives me crazy. Ask the wife how long it had been out. Her response was what milage thing.

If that's in the CRV there's a bulb you can replace.

RIPSAW 07-15-2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4689190)
If that's in the CRV there's a bulb you can replace.

Thanks, I know..just too lazy since the lower panel needs to come out on an 05 to pull the dash cluster. Been in there long ago when I put OEM fog light on it when it was new. If I got that far, was hoping to reach up but I doubt I can. Wife's car. Only thing she looks at is gas gage. I was sort of waiting for that light or another important light to go out to force the issue. Guess newby and you fixed the one above. Never dawned on me he was reading the first taxi cab wheel for miles .

emich 07-15-2015 06:57 PM

Let us know if you figured out how to do the opposite registering 1mile for 12 traveled.

Originally Posted by NoobyKid (Post 4689144)
Anyone know how this would be fixed? Ill just drive a few blocks to a friends house and all of a sudden 10 more miles are added to the odometer. I'm driving an 89 civic hatch

NoobyKid 07-18-2015 02:01 PM

Aw jeez... It totally was just the 1/10th dial. Sorry to waste your time everyone, but thanks for bringing that to my attention. Knowing me, I probably would have never realized it.