HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Cost of parts and labor for HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_Christopherrr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cost of parts and labor for HID kit

So i want to get an HID kit for my 08 civic coupe and i know TRS is a great company to buy from. I want to get the morimoto mini kit for $270 and add in 70mm halos for a total around $330. However, i contacted a recommended source to order the kit and install (too nooby to install myself) and they gave me an estimate back that the halos would cost $120 (parts and labor) and it would be $700 for the kit and install. Now, im not a math kinda guy but if i can get the complete kit with halos for $330 at TRS is it really going to cost $500 for install? Are they trying to screw me over or am i actually getting an average/good deal?

Last edited by _Christopherrr_; 02-14-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: TheRetroSource and BlackFlameCustoms

How much an hour are they charging?

If its $100/hr I can see it taking about 5 hours worth of labor. The front bumper needs to come off, headlights baked, projectors installed, ballasts wired then, everything put back together.
Old 02-14-2014
Registered!!

_Christopherrr_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming it's 100 an hour and yea my friend was saying it'll probably take about 4-5 hours, but is 100/hour about what the average mechanic/body-shop charges?

Last edited by _Christopherrr_; 02-14-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Price depends on where you live, The quality of the mechanics possibly how busy the Shop is. Around me $100 an hr is a little on the high side but not outrageous.
Old 02-15-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cost of parts and labor for HID kit

...Or you could save on labor and do it yourself. If you take it slow and are careful it's pretty simple. Just sayin'
Old 02-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Christopherrr_
but is 100/hour about what the average mechanic/body-shop charges?
The shop I'm in is higher than that, and we aren't even in a major metro area.
Old 02-20-2014
Registered!!

BRBRT03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cost of parts and labor for HID kit

If you can find someone that does the work on the side, I paid $425 in parts/labor for my Morimoto Mini/xB LED/Demon Eye retrofit on my Stratus Coupe. Would have to wait/work around their schedule or mail them out and wait but it would be a cheaper alternative and some do great work.
Might be able to find some people on HIDplanet. Dedicated auto lighting/retrofitting forum.
Avoid Lieber_Jr.
I recommend Jouw if he has time to take on the project. He did mine, top notch.