Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2 hours labor for diagnosis when I told them what the problem was?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pantdino is an unknown quantity at this point
2 hours labor for diagnosis when I told them what the problem was?

I can't access my previous post re the AC compressor clutch not engaging on my 2004 LX because the Statistics icon goes to a Chevy ad.

But I diagnosed the problem as being a bad clutch coil and told the AC place that was the problem.

When I dropped the car off I was told it would be $234 to diagnose the problem and I assumed that would not be charged if I had the work done there.

Wrong. The clutch was the problem but of course they replaced the whole compressor and a bent hard line for an ADDITIONAL $1300. ( $117 hourly labor rate)

Is it usual to have to pay such a high diagnosis fee when the problem is known?

I doubt they will want to give me any money back, but I'm inclined to post on Yelp warning others to not get burned that way.

Jim

Last edited by pantdino; 05-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2 hours labor for diagnosis when I told them what the problem was?

diagnosis is normally free at any reputable shop as long as you get the work done right there and then at the same time,

if you do not get the work done right there and then, then there will be (and should be) a diagnosis fee, and the amount will vary from shop to shop,

i would never bring a car to a shop and try to tell them what the problem is, always let them diagnose the issue, that way everything is on them, even if you THINK you know what the problem is, play dumb

if you diagnose the problem yourself, and it turns out to not be the problem, they can come back at you and say "we did what you asked us to do" even though it may not have solved your issue
Old 05-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pantdino
I can't access my previous post re the AC compressor clutch not engaging on my 2004 LX because the Statistics icon goes to a Chevy ad.
Adblock Plus FTW

Here's your thread

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/361003-c-clutch-wont-engage.html

When I dropped the car off I was told it would be $234 to diagnose the problem and I assumed that would not be charged if I had the work done there.
Wrong.
You agreed to the price, and you should never assume anything that is not in writing.

The clutch was the problem but of course they replaced the whole compressor and a bent hard line for an ADDITIONAL $1300. ( $117 hourly labor rate)

(And some people want to bash the dealerships.... LMAO!)

You gave your OK to their written estimate. You OK'd the work.

I'd totally expect an aftermarket compressor to leak the freon out or just flat crap out within 2 years.

Is it usual to have to pay such a high diagnosis fee when the problem is known?
Yes and no.
Again, you agreed to it.
I doubt they will want to give me any money back,
Did you ask?
but I'm inclined to post on Yelp warning others to not get burned that way.
Have you contacted the B.A.R. yet? If the price is unfair or the shop did not present you with a written estimate that you approved, or did any work that you did not approve, you may have a case.

Originally Posted by mikey1
diagnosis is normally free at any reputable shop
Strongly disagree.

Do you work for free? I sure don't....And I'm expected to give accurate diagnosis, no guesswork.
That can take time, and time is money.

The shops that actually give free diag are charging exactly what it's worth.....and that can cost the consumer dearly.

as long as you get the work done right there and then at the same time,
"Free" is normally rolled into the price for the repair. You pay.

if you diagnose the problem yourself, and it turns out to not be the problem, they can come back at you and say "we did what you asked us to do" even though it may not have solved your issue
We have a few customers that actually do it this way, and we do as they ask most of the time, with that caveat stated on their paperwork.

Sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
diagnosis is normally free at any reputable shop as long as you get the work done right there and then at the same time,

if you do not get the work done right there and then, then there will be (and should be) a diagnosis fee, and the amount will vary from shop to shop,

i would never bring a car to a shop and try to tell them what the problem is, always let them diagnose the issue, that way everything is on them, even if you THINK you know what the problem is, play dumb

But in this case I was right.

The backstory is that I took the car there before and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Only after I TOLD them what was wrong could they fix it.

Then they want to charge me for 2 hrs of diagnosis in addition to the well-padded labor bill?
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Adblock Plus FTW

Here's your thread

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/361003-c-clutch-wont-engage.html

You agreed to the price, and you should never assume anything that is not in writing.

(And some people want to bash the dealerships.... LMAO!)

You gave your OK to their written estimate. You OK'd the work.

I'd totally expect an aftermarket compressor to leak the freon out or just flat crap out within 2 years.

Yes and no.
Again, you agreed to it.
Did you ask?
Have you contacted the B.A.R. yet? If the price is unfair or the shop did not present you with a written estimate that you approved, or did any work that you did not approve, you may have a case.

Strongly disagree.

Do you work for free? I sure don't....And I'm expected to give accurate diagnosis, no guesswork.
That can take time, and time is money.

The shops that actually give free diag are charging exactly what it's worth.....and that can cost the consumer dearly.

"Free" is normally rolled into the price for the repair. You pay.

We have a few customers that actually do it this way, and we do as they ask most of the time, with that caveat stated on their paperwork.

Sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't.

I'm asking because I realize it is not clear cut.

If the consensus is that everything they did was fine, I won't worry about it.

My point is that there is no way in hell anyone spent 2 hrs determining the compressor coil was bad.

The compressor was replaced not because it was confirmed to be bad but because they "couldn't warranty their work unless it was" so I was sort of stuck.
Old 05-09-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

The backstory is that I took the car there before and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Only after I TOLD them what was wrong could they fix it.
Did you not have any option to take the car somewhere else? If someone told me they couldn't figure out what was wrong then I wouldn't want them to 'try' and fix anything. When they told me they couldn't warrenty their work without installing $1200 worth of parts I didn't need....me I would have breathed fire on them before they had a chance to do that.
Old 05-09-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Then they want to charge me for 2 hrs of diagnosis in addition to the well-padded labor bill?
I think this would be a valid argument for a refund of the diag fee, if not more.

If the consensus is that everything they did was fine, I won't worry about it.
You are in California, right?

Ask the California B.A.R. about this.
Is the shop registered with the B.A.R.?

Here...Have a read at this

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Auto_Repair_Guide.html

My point is that there is no way in hell anyone spent 2 hrs determining the compressor coil was bad.
It didn't.
IMO the term "hours" when referring to labor fees is misleading to anyone that is not in the industry.
"Two hours" has little to do with clock time as average people would normally think....
The term "two hours" is all about how the labor charges are figured.

i.e.: How much time is "2 minutes" in football?
It has little to do with the clock on the wall.

So anyway, that "two hours" is probably their minimum fee. What was posted for all to see?

The compressor was replaced not because it was confirmed to be bad but because they "couldn't warranty their work unless it was" so I was sort of stuck.
You could have removed the car from their facility. (I think that after they couldn't figure it out the first time.....that should have told you something.)

The shop can word their warranty any way they wish....But if you are in Cali then it's gotta pass B.A.R. standards AFAIK.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Did you not have any option to take the car somewhere else? If someone told me they couldn't figure out what was wrong then I wouldn't want them to 'try' and fix anything. When they told me they couldn't warrenty their work without installing $1200 worth of parts I didn't need....me I would have breathed fire on them before they had a chance to do that.

Since the compressor was just replaced without ever seeing if it was defective or not I can't claim I didn't need the parts-- probably didn't need a new compressor (just the clutch) but I can't know for sure. Of course they wanted to replace the whole thing because there's more profit in it, which I understand. I'm OK with the new compressor.

I took it back because they said they hired a new guy who was better and I took it there because they are the best around. They made a new hose for my Pantera AC when it was leaking, something your ordinary mechanic can't do.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

I think this would be a valid argument for a refund of the diag fee, if not more.

That's all I'm considering.

The overall picture is this: their employees could not make a diagnosis in 2.5 days of trying, or so they say.

Then I give them the diagnosis and they are suddenly able to make it?

Seems like I shouldn't have to pay a diagnosis fee.
Old 05-09-2015

my Pantera
Does this explain your handle? Got pics?

I've only driven one, and didn't get to do more then putt around.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Does this explain your handle? Got pics?

I've only driven one, and didn't get to do more then putt around.

That 100kb size limit is pretty restricting -- hope you can see it OK

The confusion here was that while sending power down the center red wire to the clutch coil did nothing on my examination, the guy at the place claimed everything was fine with the compressor and they were just trying to see why it wouldn't come on.

So I figured I must have goofed up. That's why I took it back there, thinking they knew more than I did. Thanks to you sharing your knowledge with me, that was not the case.

In retrospect we should have either done it ourselves or taken it to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantera in fnt house RR 5948  v sm 90kb.png
Views:	115
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	87720  
Old 05-09-2015

That 100kb size limit is pretty restricting -- hope you can see it OK
Sweeeeet! Thanks for sharing.

I use an outside image hosting site and hotlink to the images in the post.

The confusion here was that while sending power down the center red wire to the clutch coil did nothing on my examination, the guy at the place claimed everything was fine with the compressor and they were just trying to see why it wouldn't come on.

So I figured I must have goofed up. That's why I took it back there, thinking they knew more than I did. Thanks to you sharing your knowledge with me, that was not the case.

In retrospect we should have either done it ourselves or taken it to the dealer.
Bottom line: Does it at least work now and cool good?
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Sweeeeet! Thanks for sharing.

I use an outside image hosting site and hotlink to the images in the post.
Bottom line: Does it at least work now and cool good?

It's actually my son's car, he picked it up yesterday, and it's been quite cool here since he did.

So I can't say. But since the $500 I paid for a new compressor bought me a 2 yr warranty, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

IMO the term "hours" when referring to labor fees is misleading to anyone that is not in the industry.
"Two hours" has little to do with clock time as average people would normally think....
The term "two hours" is all about how the labor charges are figured.

Unless things have changed "book time" was about how long it took me as an amateur to do a job when I had never done one before. So very generous.
Old 05-11-2015
Registered!!

Just an update-- the owner / manager of the shop refuses to refund my $234 diagnosis fee.

He talked about the time they spent on the car the first time and didn't charge us because they didn't accomplish anything (exaggerated it as being 1 week when really it was 2.5 days).

He said the clutch was working intermittently the first time, which I don't believe because I sent power to it multiple times w/o response.

Anyway, at $117 per hour most people are probably better off just taking their car to the dealer.

Lesson learned.
Old 05-13-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

most people are probably better off just taking their car to the dealer.
I always take my car to Honda, not because I think other shops can't do the work, but because Honda has credibility (fine, not tons, but a hell of a lot more than your average joe shop) and there is always someone up higher in the chain you can go to, talk to, ie, complain to, lol. AND I've never even had to do this, Honda has done it right, every time (and I've never paid them a diagnosis fee, since I always do the work there).

Lesson learned.
Probably worth more than the $234, so you got a good deal!