HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

HELP with HID pleaSE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasonguti is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP with HID pleaSE!!

I got a 02 civic and I want to install a hid kit I bought Do I need a harness or an adapter ??? Looks like its different connections. Thank you for helping in advance
Old 02-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: HELP with HID pleaSE!!

Which kit do you want? Are you going projector (the proper way) or just throwing a hid bulb in there and blinding the hell out of everybody? You'll need ballasts to power the bulbs and they should come with a 9003 harness to hook them up to your existing lighting system. You should do some research here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Old 02-27-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

first, do it right or don't do it at all. Don't be that guy and up and grab an h4 plug-n-play kit. Imagine Liam Neeson's little "I will find you" monologue in Taken.

In all seriousness, a proper retrofit isn't difficult, considering TRS (theretrofitsource, as Poopies linked you) makes it just a hair past plug-n-play. It's also pretty foolproof and very reversible the way they make it.

That said, the easiest way to have proper HIDs is to grab a Morimoto H1 (or D2S if you so desire) retrofit kit from TRS, (literally) rip your headlights apart, install it, and be happy. Make sure you select the h4 bi-xenon relay harness.

But Rriceboy, $300 is expensive for HIDs. I don't want to spend that much
Suck it up, princess. No one said modding cars is cheap. Do it the cheap way, and you'll end up spending more money (on re-doing it, tickets, etc) in the long run.
here's a comparison of doing it the "cheap" way and doing it properly. Top is cheap, bottom is proper.
Name:  SDC13370.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  74.6 KB

The top is a halogen projector in which the cutoff shield was modified to get a proper cutoff line. The bottom is a TSX HID projector. Both have the same bulbs and ballasts installed. I bet you can guess which one will have more usable light. Also, yes, that's my personal retrofit.

Another example of cheap (and this is the one where I want to kick the driver in the *****; pic courtesy of google)

See all that extra light above what's supposed to be the cutoff? That's the crap that blinds other drivers and makes you a cop target. Also the reason why aftermarket HIDs are illegal. Do it right and no one will bother you

edit:
Sorry if I was a bit.. blunt.. with you about this. I absolutely abhor cars on the road that have >8000k HIDs in halogen housings. I hate being on the road with them, I hate being across an intersection from them, I hate being in front of them, all because they didn't wanna spend the extra money to do it properly.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-27-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I never understood the appeal of the purple lights. They're dim and annoying at the same time! It speaks a lot for TRS that they won't even sell any over 6000k.
Old 03-09-2014
Revolutions Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chris the man is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do want to do it the cheap way, and not retro fit...

YES the hids can possibly be brighter depending on the temp you choose.
YES it can be plug and play
YES it can be reliable

NO it will not be accurate
NO it will not look like the lexus below.

I have 5000ks installed on my previous honda and never had a problem, however they do not look as nice as my projector Evo X headlights

i bought this kit and have used many
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optix-Slim-H4-HID-Kit-92-95-Honda-Civic-Low-Beam-93-94-1992-1993-1994-1995-/111169511189?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item19e2381f15&vxp=mtr
The guys below really know what they are talking about.