Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

drum brake self-adjuster mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackdog48 is an unknown quantity at this point
drum brake self-adjuster mechanism

Hello,

I took my drums off my rear brakes to check the pads. They are still good, but I noticed that the self adjusters do not actually touch the star wheels on either side of the car (this is very dificult to see, but there appears to be a millimeter or so of space). I am confused as to whether the adjusters should be seated behind the long upper springs to hold them in place or if the springs that attach to the adjusters are worn out a bit - or something else. Is this going to cause me an issue in the future? How should I solve it without taking everything apart (I hate doing drum brakes!). Thank you,

Andrew
P.S. On one side the upper spring seems to block the adjuster from engaing (though the adjuster still did not engage when I lifted the upper spring enough to allow it to). On the other side the spring is not blocking the adjuster, but it also does not engage.

Last edited by blackdog48; 04-30-2022 at 05:37 PM.