Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Did I blow my transmission? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foxinsocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Did I blow my transmission? Any ideas?

Hey Guys, sorry if this is been covered somewhere before already. I have searched all over google and this form and I couldn't find any mention of it. I just recently got a 1990 civic Dx manual hatchback. I've put about 3k miles on her and her mileage is pretty low only 145k but I was driving yesterday about 45mph and there was a left turn coming up so I pulled her out of 4th head and I was slowing down out of gear clutch pushed all the way in. I pushed it into 1st gear the car was doing about 40 by the time I tried that. I felt resistance like a didn't want to go but I specifically thought to myself in a split second decision know the clutch is pushed in it should be fine too shove it into first gear. So I forced it into first gear it didn't take much of a push to pop it in I felt a sort of thunk or a pop down in the front end and I thought to myself "that's not good" shifted back to 4th and had no power I tried all my years know power and any of them, the engines not connected to the wheels anymore.
​​​​​​
There's no clutch smell I didn't burn out the clutch or even disengage it.
when I have the car on I still have to engage the clutch the shift into gears.
when I have it sitting there and I shipped into a gear when I let out the clutch I can hear a the engines Idol change just slightly.
there was no grinding or mechanical sound when I broke it just one pop then silent after that aside from the engine running.

Any ideas????? My worst nightmare is tearing into a car with no idea what I'm looking for and just endlessly looking at Parts hoping I can spot an obviously broken one
Old 08-05-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Did I blow my transmission? Any ideas?

You shifted into 1st gear at 40mph?!?

Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

I didn't let out the clutch pedal. I had it all the way in. But yeah pushed it into first for a second and felt a pop.
Old 08-05-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Check both CV axles to make sure they are still inserted into the differential. Only one of the two axles powers the car but I can't remember which one.
Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Okay so I put it up on stands and when I turn either wheel as I lay with my head under the differential I can head it making the gears inside move. I can see both CV joints are still seated all the way in.

also now that it's on stands I turned it on and put it in gear, the wheels start spinning when I do that, specifically the driver side wheel turn slowly and the passenger side wheel spins very fast probably because they're not connected to the ground to keep them at the same speed and there's a differential between them so they can spend it different speeds so the easiest one spins faster??? Just a guess. I've never had it up on stands and put it in gear before so I don't know.
Old 08-05-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The passenger side wheel is probably the drive wheel so its going to do the most spinning.

The clutch might be slipping so bad it can't grip enough to move the car. I would pull the transmission from the engine and take a peak at what is going on.
Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Okay. I guess that's all I can do now. I've never had any clutch slipping. And I definitely didn't smell any clutch when this happened
Old 08-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I pushed it into 1st gear the car was doing about 40 by the time I tried that.
This COULD have exploded the clutch disc.

so the easiest one spins faster???
THIS is correct.

Set it on the ground....put it in gear. Can you push the car like it's in neutral?
Old 08-06-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

have you ever driven a manual car?

usually, you go for 2nd gear, not first... unless it's a hairpin or close to stopped.

regardless, remove trans and have it checked, (if clutch, it should be visible after removal)
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Okay took about 5 hours and I've got another 2 or 3 to go to get the transmission out but I found what happened. It spun the clutch too fast. It exploded. It didn't burn out or start slipping it spun the clutch too fast and the friction disk exploded. I've got little bits and pieces of it nothing bigger than a nickel. So yeah. I've never heard of that being a thing. But it spun too fast and ripped itself to shreds.

yes I've driven a manual before, I grew up driving one. And I got one as my first car (all be it it was a truck). And what gear you'd want to be in would depend entirely on how fast you're going and how fast you want to be going. I was slowing down to an almost completely stop for a left hand turn through traffic. I just hadn't got to that part yet I was just letting the car coast and in preparation for the coming near stop and turn put it into first.
Old 08-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxinsocks
Okay took about 5 hours and I've got another 2 or 3 to go to get the transmission out but I found what happened. It spun the clutch too fast. It exploded. It didn't burn out or start slipping it spun the clutch too fast and the friction disk exploded. I've got little bits and pieces of it nothing bigger than a nickel. So yeah. I've never heard of that being a thing. But it spun too fast and ripped itself to shreds.
I called it.
Do I win a prize?
I want the Cupie doll

I was just letting the car coast and in preparation for the coming near stop and turn put it into first.
Yea, that's an expensive and time consuming eff up.
Don't try to shove it in a gear if you're moving faster than you'd ever go in that gear.
If you're above 5 MPH just go for 2nd gear, not 1st.
Don't ever shove first gear unless you're almost stopped.
Not only can it cause exactly what you had happen, but it's extremely hard on the brass blocker rings and causes undue stress and wear because they are what is used to slow or speed up the gear to match the speed of the synchronizer.

Had a salesmaggot that thought he could shove first gear at just about any speed, bragged that he would do this to his truck at 50 mph all the time so every other car should be able to take it too.
Does this to his manual trans demo car.
Then all of a sudden he quit driving the demo he was in and got another.
Come to find out that demo now crunched (grinds) going into first gear EVERY time unless it was completely stopped.
I pull out and teardown trans to find the brass blocker ring broken and a bunch of gear teeth damaged because of it.
Sales manager charged the maggot for the repair bill because we all knew he caused all the damage LMAO.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Yeah. It's a real face palm moment for me. I'm glad it's obvious what the issue is, hopefully I didn't damage those brass things you were talking about. I know cars kinda well (obviously no expert lol) but I'm not that familiar with the insides of a transmission. And if that happened I'll have to do all this again but replace the trany cause I can't rebuild one of those. I'm definitely going to take your advice, especially after such a time consuming and expensive F up and be more careful.

I thought I was careful. But I guess not. I'm glad for your insight on that and now I know a little bit more about the transmission's so hopefully I won't mess up like that again.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Foxinsocks
Yeah. It's a real face palm moment for me.
it happens.

i've done it twice in my 20's. both times i was drinking. not "drunk driving" but probably stretching the .08 a bit. if you relate to that sentence, it's something to keep in mind.