Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Downshifting Resistance....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tyler is an unknown quantity at this point
Downshifting Resistance....

Does this happen to you guys. I just bought a new civic si coupe 2002 model... I have noticed that when I I downshift from a higher gear to a lower gear, it's kinda clunky.. like it's trying to lock me out. This is the method I use say when I'm at 4th gear, 1) clutch 2) shift to 3rd 3) slowly let out the clutch.. this is done with the intention of slowing down and being in the proper gear when.. let say exiting a turn.. but as I'm shifting to 3rd, it's locking and kinda clunky... I think that there is a safety feature that does not allow you to shift into 1st gear, but every gear?? I'm kinda new to the stick and have just read up on tones of material on proper shifting.. needless to say, I was not 100% shifting properlly.. but I dunno if this locking is due to my shifting (as in I need to double clutch to correct it) or the car itself. I've done a search too, and have not found an adaquate answer, thanks for all the help.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-12-2002

Vinh is a glorious beacon of lightVinh is a glorious beacon of lightVinh is a glorious beacon of lightVinh is a glorious beacon of lightVinh is a glorious beacon of lightVinh is a glorious beacon of light
i believe its your clutch engagement point
yeah....the clutch engagement point is weird on these new civics
just try pressing the clutch all the way down then shift and release

i personally don't downshift to slow down......i just put it back in
neutral to slow down
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Nopes.. it's not the clutch engagement point.. I never half-clutch.. it's fully depressed... but thanks.
Does anyone else out there noticed this.. or is it just me?...
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I noticed this also, but not sure if its a problem. I have a '02 EX coupe and it seems that now only after 600 miles on the car the shifting feels more notchy. I dont know if this is normal or not, but it has me wondering the same thing as you. Everything works fine, just not as smooth as when I first got it.
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

flotsamm- Do you notice this when downshifting or shifting in general??[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I noticed it in shifting in general, either up or down. Maybe what I'm experiencing is dfiierent from what your getting. For me it take more effort to shift up or down then before and it seems as though its more notchy feeling and not as easily put in to gear(s).

Dont get me wrong though, it feels solid and matched well with the engine.
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Interesting... I only get it when I downshift. I feel like there are gates trying to lock me out from the lower gears.. shifting up is fine though and the gears come together smoothly too.. I know that the 2k1 auto vics are having trany problems.. I'm just wondering if the stick vics are having problems of there own.. or it's just myself. I have not come across anyone with you problem.. you might wanna get honda to check it out for you.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never had a problem with downshifting... I do it all the time. From what I can remember here on this board, I don't think too many people here have the problem you're having.

But's that's not to say there are no problems at all with our shifters... some people have complained about the shifter popping out of 1st or 2nd, or there's a 2nd gear grind. I have one of the earlier 7th gens, and the only real problem I have is a slightly squeaky clutch.

Old 11-13-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Just make sure you aren't going too fast for a gear....this is possible because if you are going too fast to downshift to a lower gear, it won't let you downshift and you almost have to force it, possibly risking a really nasty grinding sound & grinding feel in the shifter...I think there is something in our manuals about it too..

2Hottie
Old 11-13-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
well even syncrimesh's have their limits...this is where you should double clutch [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]....

5000th post!!!!
Old 11-16-2002
Registered!!

RyzRocket02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I find that I occasionally have that problem too. It gets better as the gears go up though. It's really bad in first and second, but that's usually just the lockouts. I experience it sometimes shifting to third. The slower I'm going, the easier it is to shift, but not always. I've kinda developed a habit of slamming the stick (not really slamming, but you get the idea) to make sure I'm shifting. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] I would really love to take the lockout off. If anyone knows how to do that, please please PM me!!! Thanks!