Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

87 Honda Civic si stalling and no power need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jman1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
87 Honda Civic si stalling and no power need help!

Ok I’m new here in need of some help! I have a 87 Honda Civic si, car ran great till one day went to work and it was stumbling and missing so I’ve been changing parts but still no luck car runs great when cold if you drive it 10-15 miles the pgmfi light comes on and it starts missing stalling and loses power please help!! List of new parts new main relay, new ignition control module, new coil, new plugs and wires, new dizzy cap, new rotor button. Any help would be greatly appreciated I love the car and would like to fix it
Old 07-01-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: 87 Honda Civic si stalling and no power need help!

When I changed my last ignition control module, I exchanged TEN that were flakey from pep boys. They threatened to stop replacing them, I made them refund my money even though there is no refund. They would accuse me of not using the thermal paste, or of using it around the bolts causing a bad ground, those aftermarket modules are just junk. Whatever you bought is likely as bad as the original.
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

I put a Ngk ignition control module on the car from rock auto, I checked the fuel pressure yesterday it was 23-25 idling, could this be my culprit? I’m running out of options
Old 07-03-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

definitely could be if you're sure you're getting an accurate reading.. i'd still be wary of the ignitor though. when you pull the vacuum line off the FPR does the pressure go up and the symptoms get a little better?
Old 07-03-2018
Registered!!

Yu can pull the hose off the fpr and the pressure goes up but my car runs good when you first start it, it does this after a few miles and it has warmed up good, the pgm fi light comes on and the number 1 light is all that is lit up. Could it be a weak fuel pump when it gets hot?
Old 07-04-2018
Registered!!

Could be. Can you rig up the pressure tester so you can watch the gauge whole driving? It's hard to miss dropping fuel pressure when there's load on the engine.

The ignitors tend to fail when hot too though, and I hate throwing parts at problems
Old 07-04-2018
Registered!!

I think I may put a be fuel pump on it anyways it’s inline on this car and easy accessible and I may throw a new set of injectors onnit too!! I’ve heard the map sensor can cause problems and the tps sensor but you can’t buy it anymore you have to get a used one
Old 07-04-2018
Registered!!

Update drive car till it warmed up maybe 12 miles then tested fuel pressure it was 25-27 pounds idling with the fpr hose on, when I took the fpr hose off the pressure went up to around 38 pounds but the cars idle was surging up and down. Also on the road while cruising and at wot the car acts like it shuts off like it has no fuel and and loses power and is jerky. I love my car but I am getting fed up with the bs!! I’d like to fix it so I can enjoy driving it again, any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance