Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vtec engine into non-vtek car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jrbucklin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Vtec engine into non-vtek car

I was sold a 1993 4S DX Honda Civic. It has an EX VTEK engine, supposedly of the same year. I am told this will never work. It appears that the engine control module and the wiring harnesses have not been switched. Is there anything I can do about this, that does not involve a lot of money I am thinking of taking the car back to the garage i bought it from, saying that i was mislead(a really good garage agrees with me) and try to get the owner to buy the car back from me. Thanks for any suggestions
jrbucklin
Old 01-21-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Vtec engine into non-vtek car

Is the car running good? Any issues?
Old 01-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I am told this will never work.
If it runs and drives, apparently it does work.
Old 10-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Is the car running good? Any issues?
no. i took the car back, and the mechanic who sold it to me, took it back to the shop that did only hondas, who switched the harnesses. So the check engine light went off, and it threw no codes. But it was still bucking and jerking, and continues to do so til now. Oct 2015. I want to solve that problem, so it runs OK and then sell it, with full disclosure of course.
If i could get this deal to work, I would have a bigger, VTEK engine. The question is: will it work?
Old 10-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If it runs and drives, apparently it does work.
Yes, it works, but it is no fun to drive, bucking and jerking when i shift gears. Now if I could figure out what is causing it to miss, whether it is a bad injector or a malfunctioning or wrong PPG-fi relay, it would be a good car, at least good enuf so I would feel comfortable selling it, telling the buyer what had been done. In fact, having a bigger functioning VTEK engine would be a real plus.
Old 10-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say take it back to the shop, it doesn't run right, they need to make it right.

Does it have to pass an emissions test or safety inspection?