Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Effin horn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
briantoneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Effin horn!!!

I am new to site and im sure this issue has been brought up before. Just bought a 93 honda civic DX with the d15b7 motor and standard tranny. The horn does not work and I live in missouri and must get a inspection done on the car. I tried the horn hooked to the batter and it works. when i hook up a test light to the car and try both wires, one lights up and the other doesnt. when i test the fuse underneath the hood the test light lights up. Does anyone have any other suggestion on what to do?
Old 05-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Effin horn!!!

when i hook up a test light to the car and try both wires, one lights up and the other doesnt.
What are you checking for?
One needs to be positive at all times, the other needs to go negative when the button gets pushed. Which one ain't doing what it should?

------------------------------------------------------

I would split the system by testing everything from the horn relay. You would have all 4 terminals to test and figure out which direction to go in short order.

#1 can you HEAR the relay click when you push the horn buttons? It is next to the fusebox under the dash.

Blu/yel = +12v from the horn fuse
one blu/grn = grounds when the button is pushed
the other blu/grn = ground to the horn
blu/red = body ground

Jumper the last 2 to honk the horn from the relay socket.

If it has an airbag, is the SRS light on? Check codes.
Clockspring could be shot.

An understanding of the system, and a few simple tests, should lead you to a definite answer. No guesses.

HTH