Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
need advice

so aparently my d16y8 burns oil (or leaks it somewhere i cant see) but ive been planning on doing a b16a or b18 gsr swap...now the part i need advice on...

as much as ive wanted a dohc im beginning to wonder what kind of power the d16 could put down with just some headwork and a turbo (~8-9 psi). im looking for anything from 190-250 hp...BUT RELIABLY.

my d16 has almost 170k on it and im hoping the oil burn is in the top end not the bottom. but my main concern is how much can the stock bottom end take with 170k on it?

if i dont end up swapping id be doing arp head studs, mild cam, p&p head, new valves and valve seals, and all other maintenance...then the turbo. and id have a trusted mech inspect the rest of the engine before.

tldr

d16y8 turbo with 170k with stock bottom end and reworked head. yay or nay? and what precautions?
Old 02-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: need advice

Depends.

200-250whp is possible with a stock bottom end D167y8, but you'd be up to 12psi I think. Still fairly safe long term, just don't go any higher. You can swap a b16 or b18c for under $2500 now, turbo that at 12psi and you'd make 350whp.. all about how much money you want to spend
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

im having trouble finding any swaps in good condition for anything but 2600+. not including mounts axles or ecu's. plus i was thinking if i just do the headwork on the d16 i can do that myself with some friends and a 12-pack. the swap im not so sure about. everyone says if you have someone whos done a swap before help you should be able to handle it but all this guy knows is volkswagen.

honestly im not trying to be able to leave a ss camaro or anything i just want more power and torque (especially torque). my budget for the swap (all odds and ends included) was $3k...but if i can get the d16 worked on AND boost for around there then id rather do that just for slightly less hassle.

also i was just gonna go with some ebay turbo kit (maybe godspeed?) and buy all the odds and ends (injectors, ems, oil lines, gauges) get a good tune then get a turbonetics or garret charger to replace it.

i think 350hp is a bit much for me lmao. at least for this car

other things i was looking to do with the build:
~12lb flywheel
stage 2 clutch (6 puck sprung)
aluminum rad
upgraded oil pump
Old 04-06-2012
Experienced Noob!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98civicexcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly what i was going to do with my car, same motor and all. STAY AWAY FROM EBAY TURBO KITS!!!!! If you want to get a kit that will last long term and not fail prematurely get a kit straight from greddy or edelbrock something with a name and that doesn't say universal(= doesn't fit a F******NG Thing) on it anywhere. Plus if you are planning on rebuiling the head i would at least put 10mm sleeves in the block just in case cause you'll be pissed if the stock pistons blow a hole in ur block.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

chris00SI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
im having trouble finding any swaps in good condition for anything but 2600+. not including mounts axles or ecu's. plus i was thinking if i just do the headwork on the d16 i can do that myself with some friends and a 12-pack. the swap im not so sure about. everyone says if you have someone whos done a swap before help you should be able to handle it but all this guy knows is volkswagen.

honestly im not trying to be able to leave a ss camaro or anything i just want more power and torque (especially torque). my budget for the swap (all odds and ends included) was $3k...but if i can get the d16 worked on AND boost for around there then id rather do that just for slightly less hassle.

also i was just gonna go with some ebay turbo kit (maybe godspeed?) and buy all the odds and ends (injectors, ems, oil lines, gauges) get a good tune then get a turbonetics or garret charger to replace it.

i think 350hp is a bit much for me lmao. at least for this car

other things i was looking to do with the build:
~12lb flywheel
stage 2 clutch (6 puck sprung)
aluminum rad
upgraded oil pump
I'd sell you a B16A2 swap for cheaper than $2600. lmk if your interested in making a deal. Thanks
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

dburke3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: need advice (lx turbo charger)

Hey guys I have a 2007 civic lx. I am really looking to try and build it up into a solid car over the next few years. One thing I am looking to do is to put a turbo charger on it. Being a rookie with this stuff I am not sure of what doing that entails. For example will the mechanics of an lx be able to handle throwing a turbo charger on or do I need to invest in more than just the turbo charger? If you guys could give me all the help you have to offer that would be great. Thanks!