I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

foglight hook up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013
ichi90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charlie90 is an unknown quantity at this point
foglight hook up

hey guys, i ordered a foglight kit for my 00 civic lx, and im trying to hook them up. I never did anything like this before, but i had a idea how it was supposed to be done. I have it set up with the red connector in the one of slots at the top of the fuse box then, i have the yellow wire in a fuse slot( just for testing) . theres a blue wire with connector, i have no idea what that hooks up to.... and finally, the black wire which has fuse holder, with the connector thatll hook up to the foglight harness ....i think i have most of it right because, the foglight switch gets power, and i hear the relay clicking whenever i push the button.do i have this right? or am i missing something? thanks guys, sorry for making this long.

Last edited by charlie90; 01-07-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2013
ichi90

Re: foglight hook up

Surely 58 people installed fog lights? Can anyone help?
Old 01-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Switch has power which is good. Relay is clicking when button is pressed which is also good. Do the fog lights turn on? Is this an OEM kit?
Old 01-07-2013
ichi90

No, its spec d aftermarket, i jus ran a wire from the fuse slot to the lights and they work, so I think i will Just forget about The switch, they come on only when I turn my lights on, so im happy....it would be nice to have the switch though...i think the one bulb blew because now it wont come on...is there anything inside the housing besides the bulb, and connectors?
Old 01-07-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

They might only come on with the switch when the headlights are on. There is nothing else in the housing besides the bulb and connector.
Old 01-09-2013
ichi90

Yeaa i found out by opening when i replace the bulbs with 100w...next thing, i was blowing fuses because of the 100w bulbs, and i blew the 7.5 interior fuse with one bulb ,so i put a 10 amp fuse once i put the 2nd light, and that blew. I Put 15 in, and got burning smell....i used really Thin wire(house surround sound speaker wire...22g maybe), so I think i need thicker wire...right?
Old 01-09-2013
Prelude Owner

No, I think you have a problem. 100W bulb at 12v is only an 8.3 Amp draw so you shouldn't be blowing fuses unless something is wrong.

Do you have one fuse per bulb or one fuse for both?

** If everything worked right before putting the 100W bulbs in then yes you might need bigger wire or a higher rated fuse. You should also have each bulb on its own fuse. If the fog lights did not come with 100 W bulbs then you could melt the housing due to the extra power.

Last edited by GolNat; 01-09-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2013
ichi90

Originally Posted by GolNat
No, I think you have a problem. 100W bulb at 12v is only an 8.3 Amp draw so you shouldn't be blowing fuses unless something is wrong.

Do you have one fuse per bulb or one fuse for both?

** If everything worked right before putting the 100W bulbs in then yes you might need bigger wire or a higher rated fuse. You should also have each bulb on its own fuse. If the fog lights did not come with 100 W bulbs then you could melt the housing due to the extra power.
Yes everything is hooked up right, those 4 or 5 slots is tied into the interior light fuse which Is only 7.5 amps...on The harness there is a fuse, but it never pops because the fuse In the fusebox blows 1st...when I Put the bigger fuse In 15a, everything still worked fine, Lights Came on and everything, only after Like 5-10 mins Of it being On, i smelled something From the bay, whichh Is where the REALLY thin wire is...the fuse On the harness is green, i think thats 10a? Anyway, i think the wire is too thin..is The8.3a per bulb? Or both bulbs together?
Old 01-10-2013
Prelude Owner

The 8.3 amps is per bulb so if you only have a 15 amp relay and really thin wire for both bulbs then you pushing over 16 amps which is a lot. Check the fog light housings also to make sure they are not burning and step up your wire gauge.
Old 01-10-2013
ichi90

Oh ok, im not using a relay or anything...so thicker wire should in theory, get rid of The burning smell right? I new the wire was small, but i wanted to test It and made sure Everything worked...i will Upgrade my wire As you said to some thick, maybe 14g speaker wire? Maybe 12-10, Or Would it be best to use like 6g power wire?
Old 01-10-2013
Prelude Owner

You NEED to use a relay. The pics you showed had a relay with the fogs. The burning smell might be the switch burning. It should be wired similiar to this:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-ignition.html

***dont use speaker wire either. You need to use primary hook up wire like this. You can buy a role at pep boys for not to much:

Last edited by GolNat; 01-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.