I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY Radio Replacement Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sch2cm is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Radio Replacement Gone Wrong

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your attention first off. I have a 2005 Civic EX; 10 years later now I finally mustered the desire to add some Aux capability so that I could listen to my own music. I am in the military, move around a lot, and at the current moment, am stationed in a very populated area so FM transmitters aren't cutting it anymore. Given I have a background in calibration and repair, I am familiar with electrical wiring so I thought I'd give this a go.

Bought a BOSS Audio 612UA for the car but no harness for the wiring. Thought some wiring connectors would do fine and doing my own stripping and crimping would be fine.

Used this diagram: (Seemed to match the wiring colors exactly)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-specific.html

So now it's all wired up but when the ignition is turned on I get nothing.

Did some more looking into and thought, maybe, the illumination wires had to be hooked up, so I hooked up the Red/Black wire to the 12V Switched alongside Yellow/Red and the Red wire (which I'm assuming is the Illumination Negative wire) and hooked it up alongside Ground. Still nothing.

Stuck now, no access to equipment like multimeters until tomorrow when I have work. Thanks for the help!

Please let me know if you need any additional information regarding the process so far.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Radio Replacement Gone Wrong

You're sure you have a solid ground contact and the 12v+ is hooked up correctly?
Also double check your fuses, if you didn't disconnect the battery before installation here's a good chance you blew a fuse.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Ground contact is solid as well as the 12V connections.

12 Switched is hooked up solid to Yellow/Red
12 Constant is hooked up to White/Red and connection is solid.

But crap, I didn't disconnect battery before installation so I can totally see the fuse blowing. Though when I pull it out of the radio it still looks intact. I could stop by a shop though anyway and pick up some spare fuses.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

you most likely blew the radio fuse in the fuse box of the car. check there and see what you find.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

UPDATE:

Fuse isn't blown.

But now my issue is I am not getting any voltage reading from 12V Constant. I'm not car savvy by any means, but the 12V constant is straight from the battery right? I did the battery check, it's fine and at 12V. But when checking the reading at the wire (White/Red), it isn't picking up anything. Still continuing to troubleshoot...
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
you most likely blew the radio fuse in the fuse box of the car. check there and see what you find.
I just noticed this reply as I posted the recent UPDATE. I'll definitely check the radio fuse and be back.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sch2cm
UPDATE:

Fuse isn't blown.
Just for more clarity, I was referring to the fuse behind the actual radio unit itself. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

UPDATE:

Fixed it! Common sense is I should've disconnected the dang battery prior to installation, which caused the fuse under the hood to blow! Thanks to MassCivic and drhawkinz for that mention.

So I just disconnected the battery, replaced the blown fuse, double checked the wiring again, installed the radio, re-connected battery, turned ignition to ON, and viola, radio is coming on now and from the sounds of it, all the speaker wiring is good to go. Everything sounds how it is supposed to sound.

Again, thanks for the help! 10 years of FM transmitters is now coming to an end and I am freakin excited as hell for it.
Old 07-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT, I'm late.

Disconnect the illumination wiring before you burn out the gauge cluster. (If you have it wired this way)
Most radios seem to want a variable positive for illumination, the car uses constant positive and variable negative.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

QUOTE=ezone;4689384]EDIT, I'm late.

Disconnect the illumination wiring before you burn out the gauge cluster. (If you have it wired this way)
Most radios seem to want a variable positive for illumination, the car uses constant positive and variable negative.[ QUOTE]

Man and I was just at securing the center console too when I saw this. But you bring up a good point. Definitely didn't want any future incidents occurring in the near future, so I re-accessed the wiring and disconnected the illumination wiring. Thanks for the save.
Old 07-21-2015
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sch2cm
UPDATE:

Fixed it! Common sense is I should've disconnected the dang battery prior to installation, which caused the fuse under the hood to blow! Thanks to MassCivic and drhawkinz for that mention.

So I just disconnected the battery, replaced the blown fuse, double checked the wiring again, installed the radio, re-connected battery, turned ignition to ON, and viola, radio is coming on now and from the sounds of it, all the speaker wiring is good to go. Everything sounds how it is supposed to sound.

Again, thanks for the help! 10 years of FM transmitters is now coming to an end and I am freakin excited as hell for it.
Nice! Glad that was all it was. Enjoy your new stereo!