I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What kind of subs and amp to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravensfh is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of subs and amp to get?

I'm currently driving a 98 Honda Civic EX Coupe. I've never had a sound system installed in a car I've owned so I'm not sure what to buy. I've read that Pioneer is a great brand but not sure about others? I've inherited a dual 10 inch sub woofer box from a friend and I wanted to know what type of speakers to put in it and which amp to get to compliment them? Running an OEM Honda radio and alternator if that helps.
Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96vtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What kind of subs and amp to get?

It all depends on how much cash u wanna spend. i have some alphasonics that ive had for 7 yrs and they 0nly cosy 120 bucks for 2 10s a box and amp they still pound. go with whatever u can afford
Old 05-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99stockcivic will become famous soon enough
Re: What kind of subs and amp to get?

I think another thing to consider when putting in an amp is where and how much space you want to give up. I see a lot of people put in big woofers and think "wow they just lost half their trunk space". I also worry that it's pretty easy to become a target and have someone see those speakers when you open the trunk and steal them (happened to me in the past before). So, in my case, I wanted something more stealthy but also simple to install. I went with a Kenwood KSC-SW11 150-Watt Compact Powered Subwoofer with Remote. It's very thin, so for me I was able to pull back the fabric paneling on the side of the trunk and just tuck it back in there so it's invisible. Then, because it's a powered amp it's easy to run one two wires from the head-unit area (power/trigger and ground) back to the powered amp, and it's done. Then you can just spend your time adjusting the sub volume until you get it right (and adjusting the equalizer in the stereo to compensate as well. Our cars are small, so 150 watts was good for me, but you could always run a second one to the other side and hide it as well, and really rock the car around. finally, I added a little bit of Hushmat/Dynamat to the trunk lid itself because it would rattle soooo much from the subwoofer and that got it to stop. For brands, everyone has their favorite, if you are not trying to go too expensive kenwood, sony, pioneer all work as head units. I would also suggest replacing all your speakers while at it, as they probably sound like junk by now and it again is not an expensive thing to do. I bought all my stuff from Crutchfield and it was $109 for the head unit, $120 for all 4 speakers (two in the door, two in the back), $129 for the subwoofer. Sounds like a new car to me now. I'm not saying my setup is the best but for a $350 or so I have new everything and I am happy. Good luck.