I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wiper Motor Issue 98 EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nupe494 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiper Motor Issue 98 EX

I've searched to see if anyone else had a similar problem with no luck.

I recently replaced the wiper stalk on my finance's Civic. It was tested and it worked correctly (variable speed, switch speed settings and off). That lasted for about one day where on subsequent use, it remained on at all times where the variable speed function does not work. The switch speed settings do work.

Basically, the variable speed and off settings do not work. I'm working to understand whether this could be a motor problem. Please advise.

V/R,
Curtis
Old 02-12-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
It sounds as if the "park switch" has gone bad. It will "park" the wipers back at the bottom of windshield once the wiper switch is turned off. It is contained inside of the wiper motor.

Was it doing this before you replaced the switch ??
Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

I can't say yes or no that it was problem before. Reason being is the switch was broken. It'd moved up and down (which it does not do) which apparently broke the circuit to park the wipers. If the wiper stalk was seated in certain way, it would turn off the wipers.

I wish there was a test I could run to isolate the problem to the wiper motor without actually replacing it.
Old 02-13-2007

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I did some looking at the info I have. The park switch sends a signal to control module for off/park. The motor may be o.k.

I can send the wiper wiring info to an E-Mail address if you need it for troubleshooting.
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

CraigW,

I have a diagram out of the haynes manual. If you have something more detailed, I greatly appreciate it.

Is the wiper module separate of the wiper motor? It looks that way in the haynes manual.
Old 02-14-2007

Yes, it is a separate unit. What I have is the free 96-00 factory service manual and factory electrical manual someone scanned them to a PDF.

I have a way of making PDFs, but for some reason this manual will not work correctly when attempting. I can print and re-scan the pages. If you would like them let me know.

I'am a factory service manual fanatic and came across this one while searching for 01-05 manual.