Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Shaking/vibration on steering wheel at highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FearWRX is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaking/vibration on steering wheel at highway driving

I've read a lot of topics about it, but none of them had done the same things as i did, so, hopefuly you all can help me. The car in question is a LX 99 AT Civic.
Here's the considerations:

- 4 new tires with 2.000 km (Dunlop Direzza 195/50 R15 perfectly aligned and balanced (it wasn't balanced on the car) - confirmed by 2 places i've done the service).
- My CV Joints, aparently are fine, i don't hear any noises from them while cornering and such (boots are fine too).
- I calibrate all my tires every 2 weeks (i drive something like 120km per week, nothing more than that).
- I can feel a small vibration when my car is parked and running, very small, but i feel it. Probably a transmission mount starting to collapse, the others are quite fine.
- None of my wheels are bent/welded.
- I don't hear any noises coming from a failing wheel bearing.

The question is that, when i reach ~120 kph/ 75 mph my steering wheel shakes a little bit, but i notice that i can feel it shake more when i'm going downhill, otherwise, i can't feel it.

So, i suspect that either a mount is causing it, or an axle, but, can a cv joint cause that, even if it isn't "clicking/popping", but i want to hear from you, given the facts, what may be causing it...

thank you all for the patience.
Old 10-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shaking/vibration on steering wheel at highway driving

can a cv joint cause that, even if it isn't "clicking/popping"
Yes when the inner cv joint is bad it can cause vibrations that typically comes and goes as load changes
Old 10-07-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shaking/vibration on steering wheel at highway driving

Also check the lower control arm ball joints. They won't make sound but they can lead to a shopping cart like wheel shake.

To test them jack the car up and leave the wheels on; place your hands at 9 and 3 on the tires, push back and forth.
Use little force and fast variation between hands. It is normal to have the wheel and tire move due to turning the wheels, because this is how you steer the car. But if the movment is easy and loose feeling then the Ball joints are shot.

You'll definitely know they are shot if you place your hands at 12 and 6 and the tires wobble, but this is in an extreme wear state.