Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

goodbye cv joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
goodbye cv joints

or at least thats what i think... drove 2k miles with car full of stuff, get home, drive the car again once its empty, now it clicks really loud when turning the wheel, cornering, and sometimes even slowing down going straight. this sucks. only have 80k on the car. any idea of ballpark estimates what its gonna run? both sides are screwed. and do i just need the joints and boots, or the whole axle shaft... b;ah
Old 08-21-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: goodbye cv joints

got mine for $350
Old 08-21-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Does it click when driving or only when turning the wheel?

If it is when in motion then the CV joints are busted.
If it is when turning the wheel, the ball joints are busted.

To test the CV joints, look for leaking grease and listen for ticking that increases when going straight.

To test if it is the ball joints, jack the car up with the wheels on and wiggle the wheel. If it is wobbly then the ball joints are dead.
Old 08-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thanks man keep adding to my list of problems lol. i bet its both. when im driving like 15mph and i jerk the wheel left and then back to center, it makes a single click and i can do it everytime. its harder to do at faster speeds. around corners, if i accelerate while turning, the steering wheel feels funny like it shaking or not wanting to stay where im holding it. when i let off the gas and almost start coming to a stop in straight line, i heard lots of clicking and vibrating.
Old 08-23-2008
Premium Member

wheel does not feel wobbly, all the boots seem okay, except the one near where the oil pan is leaking has some oil on it but none are torn. someone here also says it might be strut top mount bearings going bad.
Old 08-23-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

a wobble will only tell u if tie rod ends are bad, only way to tell if ball joints are bad is to jack the car up and put a pry bar inbetween the lca and the knukcle, and if there is play, then the balljoint is bad
Old 08-23-2008
Premium Member

ah so it still possible. i just got new tierods btw (outers) a month ago. so bad ball joints will click too?
Old 08-25-2008
Premium Member

haha and what do you know... stupid sears did not tighten the tie rods, and they were loose as a **** says the shop its at right now. and after theyre done, i gotta goto sears and have them redo the alignment cause the specs are gonna be way off obviously. and it better be free lol. rear brakes are also fine, so i told em to just tighten the parking brake up so it actually works when you pull up on it.