Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Running without a thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Running without a thermostat

First all, I don't wanna hear the crap. My car has a bad head gasket and I know it, I can't afford to fix it RIGHT this minute. coolant is NOT mixing with oil, though a little oil IS Getting into the coolant.

anyway, I had the suggestion of running it without a thermostat temporarily as it will reduce temp and pressure, thus not pushing coolant out or into the overflow tank (And not letting it back in) it would probably be only a month, maybe 2 months max. I live in GA where it's summer the average temps during the day is 85+ and at night between 65-75.

I know alot of people say its terrible on an engine, but would it be okay for just a few months until I am able to get all the parts to fix it? This is my only car, My only way to work...
Old 06-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Running without a thermostat

You can run without the stat if you wish, of course you probably already heard all the reasons to not do it that way.

And removing the stat probably won't help anything, because:

It will continue to push liquid out of the radiator into the reservoir and probably continue to overflow the reservoir, and after it's pushed almost a quart of liquid out of the radiator it will probably still overheat.
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

So basically nothing I Can do it at all to even limp it along? Oh well I guess.
Old 06-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When these blow the head gasket, at least in the early stages,

Low liquid level in the radiator is the usual reason they end up running hot and overheating.

So.....Depending on how rapidly it is pushing liquid out of the radiator......Fill the radiator up long before it gets low.
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
When these blow the head gasket, at least in the early stages,

Low liquid level in the radiator is the usual reason they end up running hot and overheating.

So.....Depending on how rapidly it is pushing liquid out of the radiator......Fill the radiator up long before it gets low.

I was going over a month with daily 50+ mile trips before it did, then it got down to every 2 weeks, then once a week, now it seems like even when I top it off and bleed it, it still likes to start to run hot again.
Old 06-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

when it starts overheating... too late, it's gonna go at any moment
while it is still only pushing coolant out of overflow, mine lasted for more than 6 months and i still drove from QC to TN. never overheated, but it was loosing coolant, so i was pouring in new coolant.
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

It seems to only overheat when it's low on coolant, I drained all the old cloudy coolant, cleaned the thermostat up and refilled it, idled for 45 mins with revving between 2500-3500 RPMS, temp never budged, drove it around, temp never budged.... it seems to only do it once it's pushed out enough coolant to be low... otherwise, when it's full, it runs perfectly fine.
Old 06-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

then keep filling. check everyday
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

I also notice that the softer I drive (meaning keeping the rpms low, and not running it hard) the less coolant it pushes out... Eh, I guess i'll just keep a few gallons of water in my car.