Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Door won't lock, 99 HX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OldBeatUpCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Door won't lock, 99 HX Coupe

I'm having an odd problem with my 99 HX Coupe driver's door. In the past I have replaced a weak lock solenoid with good results, but recently it seems to have failed again.

Now when I use the actuator switch I hear zero noise from the driver's door lock solenoid. The passenger side solenoid works fine when operated from the driver's door switch.

But the real bad problem is that now I cannot lock my driver's door manually. While inside the car with the door closed, I can't flip the lock lever. (This car has a lock lever rather than vertical lock posts.) The lock lever has a high resistance and bounces back. While outside the car with the door closed, I can't lock it with the key. The key rotates easily into the unlock position, but there is a strong resistance in the locking direction.

I have taken the door panel off and it looks like all of the linkages are connected up and are fine.

Can a bad solenoid prevent me from manually locking my door? Or is something wrong with the latch mechanism? Even if the power lock won't work, how can I get manual locking operational again? Thank You.
Old 04-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door won't lock, 99 HX Coupe

Can a bad solenoid prevent me from manually locking my door? Or is something wrong with the latch mechanism?
You can find out...

Remove door panel
Remove door latch assembly from the door
Remove power lock actuator from the door latch
See if latch works now that lock actuator has been removed

At this point you should be able to tell which part you need to order.