Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible Major Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HiImBrandon is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible Major Electrical Issue?

Yesterday, while in Miami after a 4 hour trip from Tampa, my battery light turned on and about 30 minutes later my car shut down. I had to have the car towed and the alternator replaced. That fixed the problem of the car dying and the battery light being on the dash but after I got the car back the wheels became hard to turn as if I no longer had power steering and now nothing on my instrument cluster works. The rpm and speed gauge were acting up when the car started to lose power before it shut down so I figured the alternator being fixed would cure that but evidently not. I also cannot get the car out of park without putting the key in the override slot, popping it in neutral, then starting the car. All of this happened once I got the car back from having the alternator replaced. Any insight is appreciated. I managed to get the car back home to Tampa but I'm afraid it might strand me again due to one of these new issues.
Old 05-31-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Possible Major Electrical Issue?

Any fuses missing/broken? How does everything look under the hood?
Old 05-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Guesses:
Power steering belt was left loose?
Alternator bolts were not tightened, possible PCM damage as a result?

Contact the shop that did the repairs and see how they want to handle their problem.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like the alternator is loose.As is the power steering check the tension on the belts. But Id wanna call the shop that did the work and see how they want to proceed was it a chain store like a pep boys or firestone?
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HiImBrandon
All of this happened once I got the car back from having the alternator replaced.
take it back