Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help, 1996 CX Hatch not starting in the cold (already checked main relay)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ianmorrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help, 1996 CX Hatch not starting in the cold (already checked main relay)

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, so please let me know if I'm making any errors according to the forum rules.

I just bought an all stock 1996 Civic CX hatch, 5 speed manual, with 205,xxx miles. I drove it home yesterday (about 30 miles), and everything was perfect. I parked it, let it sit, and then drove to the store. This morning I went to start it and it turns over perfectly, but will not fire at all.

I checked the main relay, and fuel pump. Both are functional. I checked one of the spark plugs to make sure I was getting spark, and the spark plug worked fine. My air filter is clean, the throttle body is working fine, and it has half a tank of fuel.

Like I said, its turning over perfectly, just like it was yesterday. I am certain the main relay is functioning, as well as the fuel pump. I can even smell fuel after cranking it over for a little while.

Do you think it is vapor locked? Is are my injectors bad? the ignition?

Oh, and it is about 30 degrees F out here (-1 C). Please let me know what you guys think because I need to drive it today.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ianmorrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please help, 1996 CX Hatch not starting in the cold (already checked main relay)

Update: My coil went bad. After replacing that and the rotor, the car runs again. I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.