Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sudden low RPM overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xzoptlq is an unknown quantity at this point
Sudden low RPM overheating

So I have a Civic that has been sitting for the past few months, and I had to suddenly drive it the other day due to problems with another car.

It was around 0F outside and had to jump the car. I also topped off all fluids and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. I know this is a terrible scenario for driving a car that has been idle for a while.

Two days later, it suddenly started to overheat at low RPMs. Temp would regulate around 50mph, but would spike severely and steam when stopped at a light (which upon opening the hood, showed that the coolant had boiled out of the reservoir). I only drove it for about 15 minutes as I was stuck on a highway with no exits. Also not a great scenario.

I hoping there is no sever damage, but doesn't anyone have an idea where to start based on the specifics?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sudden low RPM overheating

Head gasket.