General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

answers to all these frickin turbo, nos, and super questions- im RANTING!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinkytoe is an unknown quantity at this point
answers to all these frickin turbo, nos, and super questions- im RANTING!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!

ok after i just read a post about the thought of twin turbos on a civic and how nos makes your engine run cooler- i got VERY fed up with miss information- i will only explain things i KNOW to be true- ok

some people dont even understand why turbos or supers or nitrous make more power- they say man i need a super so my car will go fast- superchargers and turbos and nos do escentialy the same thing they force more oxygen into your motor to create a larger BANG- on a na car (naturally aspraited- no turbo, super, or nos) the piston moving up and down creates a vacume of air (witch contains the combustible elment- oxygen) that sucks from the outside through your air filter through your intake into your motor- once in the motor the air mixes with the gas tha is injected then is compresed on the upstroke of the piston then ignighted to to create a explosion that in turn creates a downward force on the piston to push it down (duh)- ok so in order for the explosion to happen we need 3 things- oxygen, fuel, and spark,the more of these things you have and the more effecent you are in using this process- the more power you will create- ok since were all on a simalar page here ill get into the forced induction

turbo- the way a turbo works is its like one little fan connected to a bigger fan (im trying to keep this as simple as possible)- ok after that explosion occours in the motor the piston is forced down then comes back up- on that up stroke it pushes out those spent gasses within the cylnder- it comes out with some force- the turbo is installed on the exaust manifold- where all that forced gas gose through- that gas spins the small fan in the center of the turbo- that small fan in the center of the turbo spins a larger fan thats connected to an intake- so basicly it creates a positive pressure of air thats "forced" into the motor- as opposed to superchargers turbos create clean power- what i mean is they dont require a draw of any horespower to create it- depending on the size of the turbo there can be a negative of turbos- if the turbo is large and creates alot of horsepower at high RPM's they are harder to get spinning- especilay at low rpm- that will make the motor rev up slowere at low RPM's- thats turbo lag- also with turbos they are driven by hot exaust gases- that heats up your intake gasses- colder denser air is much better then hot low density air in your motor- thats why they use intercoolers- the air gets forced through the intercooler before it gets to the motor so its much cooler and denser- witch equals more oxygen witch makes a larger BANG and more horsepower

superchargers force air into a motor by means of a belt usually attached to the crankshaft of a motor- the supercharger dosent require high rpms to create horespower- they will make horsepower and tourqe at low rpm's as well- but its a defeating force- say a supercharger says it will ADD 100 HP to your motor- the supercharger may actually make 200 HP BUT it requires 100 of the horespower it creates in order to drive the unit- also upgradeability and tuneability is limited

ok as for nitrous- nitrous oxide- n20- one nitrogen molecule and 2 oxogen molecules- in a na car it draws in 1 oxegen molecule from the air and mixes it with gas and creates a explosion- with nos the motor will still pull in taht one oxegen molequel but nos is n2o- thats 1 more oxygen molecule- so with nos youll burn 2 oxygens instead of 1- pretty cool eh? n2o is a cold substance but burning all taht oxygen at one time like that creates a TON of heat- and heat is the single most detremental thing to the lifespan of a motor- nos is realitivly cheap to initaly get, easy to install, easy to use, easy to maintain, and alot of bang for the buck, but ti needs to get refilled constantly, and if used incorectly, or if used excesivly is extremely detremental to motors due to the vast amount of heat created by it

ok so i hope this was helpfull and it answerers all these repeated questions i keep seeing- oh btw at this point there are NO turbokits or superchargers out for our car, please, if your going to covnverse or chat about a topic- please be knolegeable about it- dont talk out of your ***- oh and sorry i cant spell worth a damn- peace
tony
Old 01-07-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahhahaa
this feels like im in chemistry class lolz
so why do i laugh when the n20 gets in the air or when i leaks off the bottle
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
max boost anyone?
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

oatmeal is an unknown quantity at this point
that was very deep[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] thank you!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I really hope this stops the N2O, Supercharge, and Turbo questions. Bit that's prollyn ot gonna happen since people don't learn how to use the friggen search thingie. LoL Next time, just simplify it....More air, more spark, more gas = more horsepower. That's basically what I tell people when they ask what forced induction does. I tell em, the more air you suck in and the faster you can get it out, the faster you go! I only get into specifics when someone asks exactly how that works. And the "which is better N2O, supercharger, or Turbo" is a whole other issue. I say next time people ask those kinds of questions people should just respond....SEARCH! LoL
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

SoFlaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< ok as for nitrous- nitrous oxide- n20- one nitrogen molecule and 2 oxogen molecules- in a na car it draws in 1 oxegen molecule from the air and mixes it with gas and creates a explosion- with nos the motor will still pull in taht one oxegen molequel but nos is n2o- thats 2 more oxygens- so with nos youll burn 3 oxygens instead of 1- pretty cool eh... >>

You were doing O.K. until you hit the nitrous oxide, Tony!

N20 is NOT 1 nitrogen and 2 oxygen as you stated. That would look like NO2...
N20 is TWO nitrogen and ONE oxygen, for a 50% ratio of oxygen to nitrogen.
This is still good, as the ratio of oxygen in "regular" air (the stuff we breathe) is about 29%.

Nitrous cooling the intake charge is due to adiabatic cooling. When a gas is compressed, it is
heated (just like when you compress air through a turbo/super charger). When a gas expands, it
gets cooler. When the nitrous expands (being let out of the bottle) it cools, and thus, cools the intake
charge. This is why nitrous is helpful in supercharged engines.

Don't everybody go out and juice your blown cars, though, you still need to compensate for the extra
oxygen by adding fuel...

...or something...
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

honda4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Thankyou Professer Honda.....Looks like you spend way to much time in a Sports Compact Car Mag!
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

GoBBla is an unknown quantity at this point
N2o is two oxygen and i nitrogen[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] pinky knowws what hes talking about
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

N2o is two oxygen and i nitrogen[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] pinky knowws what hes talking about
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Redsands is an unknown quantity at this point
No, SoFlaCivic is correct. Think of our dear friend water H20, it is two Hydrogens connected to one water. Which is why we can make free radicals such as H0- and H+ from water. The number after the element refers to its amount. In example Hydrogen peroxide is H202 not 2H20.

Hope that doesn't confuse anyone more.
Redsands
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
I never took Chemistry and even I know that N2O would be 2 Nitrogen and 1 Oxygen. it could actually be N2O1, but that really isn't neccessary.
Old 01-07-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point

<< N2o is two oxygen and i nitrogen[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] pinky knowws what hes talking about >>

N2O is Two Nitrogen and One Oxygen
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Slickwillie is an unknown quantity at this point
What's a Oxygen? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Aaron
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

JOEincaEX is an unknown quantity at this point
i think you need to clarify more on the turbo for others. You stated that first the exhaust gas spins a turbine that spins another turbine that sucks air in for the intake. then you stated that it sucks exhaust gas back into the engine. not wanting to diss, just clarify. other than that great job
Joe
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes...it is 2 parts Nitrogen, and one part Oxygen. And it's so fun to inhale : )
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
N2O is exactly that Nitrous (2 parts) Oxide (1 part) You never follow the elment with a 1 since it is understood. 2 Nitrogen molecules and 1 Oxygen molecule form N2O. Got it? Pretty simple stuff.

And no, the turbo doesn't suck in "dirty air" It uses clean air, not recycled exhaust. The air comes in thru the Intercooler, if so equiped, and enters the intake manifold where it is compressed by the turbine, hence the name turbo, and pushed into the combustion chamber. Again, pretty elementary. Hope this clarifies some stuff.

Thanx for the post Pinky...I'm sure it's helpful to many on this site.

Peace...

Rico
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

black is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome Thread guys, Keep the good work!

<< fun to inhale >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] "just inhaled some to test it!!!!!!" [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]!!!

ps, anyone have neat idea on how/where to place/hide the bottles [and or what size bottles] in our civics?
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully people will be using the SEARCH function more now......
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

ok guys- sorry bout that- n2o is the correct termenology for nitrous oxide- but my earth science skillz have all but been forgoten- thats 2 nitrogen and 1 oxygen- my bad - ok fixed it
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

sofla- i didnt want to get TOO complicated by talking about air fuel ratios- i wanteed to keep it simple and not confuse anybody- maybe later
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

eissal is an unknown quantity at this point
joo r teh lawrd uv grammur!
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

HERE ARE SOME GREAT LINKS!! JUST FOUND THEM!!!!!

turbo vs. super

how a turbo charger works

about nitrous
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
good job!!
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Slammed2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job, and very informative, but that will do nothing to stop people from posting the same crap over and over again. All I have to say is, "I hear you can put an RSX motor in our cars....."
Chris
Old 01-07-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
okay nevermind what i had written here, read the above article on nos

we should make this thread the all-knowing thread post links to questions and answer questions, then put a link to the thread in our sigs so when we run across ppl who don't understand something we can say "click on this thread, go to page 7 and read the post by so and so"
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool link
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point
wow...cool post! good follow up posts, too! yeah...life is good!
[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

gimmegimme is an unknown quantity at this point

<< ps, anyone have neat idea on how/where to place/hide the bottles [and or what size bottles] in our civics? >>

black: Put them inside the passenger seat.

pinkytoe: Thanks for the explanation. And howstuffworks.com rulez!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002
liq
Registered!!

liq is an unknown quantity at this point

<< And no, the turbo doesn't suck in "dirty air" It uses clean air, not recycled exhaust. The air comes in thru the Intercooler, if so equiped, and enters the intake manifold where it is compressed by the turbine, hence the name turbo, and pushed into the combustion chamber. Again, pretty elementary. Hope this clarifies some stuff. >>

If you are saying that air first gets in to the car through the intercooler, that is incorrect. Even in a turbo charged car with an intercooler, air first enters the car through a regular intake. After the air is compressed by the turbine it then goes through the intercooler to cool the air back down due to the heat gained while the air was being compressed.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Cross is an unknown quantity at this point
black I believe Sparco makes a Racing seat with a foldable bottom so you can put nitrous under it. But I wouldn't sit in the seat of any man's ride knowing nitrous is under my A$$... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Randy

Quick Reply: answers to all these frickin turbo, nos, and super questions- im RANTING!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!