Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new brakes still feels warped

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camilo1920 is an unknown quantity at this point
new brakes still feels warped

I am new here so i am not sure if this has been talked about. i have ej7. 98 honda civic hx. i installed new rotors and brake pads twice. in less then a month. i still get a pulse on the pedals. but its only when i lightly tap the brakes. ounce i begin to press on it more firmly it goes smooth. another thing is when i do lightly tap all i hear is ....squeek.....squeek...squeek. at first i thought it might have been the bearing, but the noise comes when i press on the brakes. any ideas?
Old 04-09-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: new brakes still feels warped

How is your brake fluid level? also did you bleed the brakes when you changed them out, could be air in the line.
Old 04-09-2013
Registered!!

I did not bleed them. Ill do that and see if it helps. ill post the result.
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

okay so i just finished bleeding the brakes. noise got louder but the pedal pulse got slimmer. but i still feel it? i noticed the that my of set on the right is positive while on the left negative. i am going to save a little to get some cambers. any how can the offset be the reason?
Old 04-10-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Originally Posted by camilo1920
i noticed the that my of set on the right is positive while on the left negative. i am going to save a little to get some cambers. any how can the offset be the reason?
is the car lowered? I don't think the camber would affect your brakes, usually it determines tire wear..

Have you had your rotors surfaced?

The faces of a disc brake rotor must be parallel (within .0005 inch on most cars) and flat (no more than about .002 to .005 inches of runout) otherwise it will kick the brake pads in and out when the brakes are applied, producing a pulsation or vibration that can be felt in the brake pedal as the rotor alternately grabs and slips.
You can often see warpage in a brake rotor by simply looking at it. If the rotor has telltale glazed or discolored patches on its face, chances are it is warped. Measuring it with a dial indicator and checking it for flatness with a straight edge will confirm the diagnosis.
Resurfacing the rotor to restore the faces will usually eliminate the pulsation

Another possibility is when installed your runout is off.. You may need to check your lateral runout.. If you dont have the tools to measure it you may need to have a shop check it out...

vibrating in the brakes is usually one of those two things but can be other things as well.. the squeling is usually associated with the wear indicator on your pads but I can only assume those are new???
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

rotors are new. brake pads are new. changed them twice. i think the calibers are out. the brake fluid was very dirty which means that the previous owner did not give a s@#t about hes car. ill post it when i finished
Old 04-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

remember you can rebuild them. could be something on their frame even. less likely, but master cyl or brake lines, who knows? or splashguards hitiing when pressure is applied? (not likely either but.
Old 04-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Caliper rebuild is way too cheap and it refreshes them to almost new. It doesn't take long either just make sure you clean them up all nice and pretty.
Old 04-12-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

there shouldn't be any reason to bleed the brakes all you did was change rotors and pads. did you just change the fronts what about the rear drums did you inspect those
Old 04-15-2013
Registered!!

Okay so i changed the rotors. Everything was good. Now the noise is back. but the warpe feeling is gone. I got better quality rotors. So maybe the brakes this time? ceramic pads?

now there is a squeak when the car is going then i press the brakes. goes quite then squeak again then a grinding well its more of a harsh rubbing but it pulses. i am going nuts.

i am going to go and get better pads and some brake lube. What do you guys think?
Old 04-15-2013
Registered!!

yes drums are fine. its coming from the front.
Old 04-16-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just... stop putting rotors and pads, clearly it's not them.
Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Squeaking could be the dust shield. Could also be the pads rubbing against the rotor if they are not retracting completely or you didn't use enough anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads.
If your fluid was dirty, make sure you do a complete flush of the lines. Will probably take about 2 bottles of fluid (small bottles).
Also make sure you removed all rust and contamination on the hub mounting surface. Even a very small piece of rust will make the rotors shake a little.
Old 04-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
Squeaking could be the dust shield. Could also be the pads rubbing against the rotor if they are not retracting completely or you didn't use enough anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads.
If your fluid was dirty, make sure you do a complete flush of the lines. Will probably take about 2 bottles of fluid (small bottles).
Also make sure you removed all rust and contamination on the hub mounting surface. Even a very small piece of rust will make the rotors shake a little.
I got it back to normal. The pins where bone dry. I put brake lube. On the pins back of the brake pads caliper. Everything is smooth now. Thanks for the tips everyone
Old 04-18-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bah I always just assume people take care of the sliders. Glad you got er fixed!