Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery light/ Power loss... Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tylerleefalter is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery light/ Power loss... Please help!!!

I'm actually having problems with my '99 Civic LX... My battery light starts flickering as well as my lights interior and exterior at or above 3000rpm I just replaced the battery. Thinking it may be the alternator, but when i start the car and remove the positive battery terminal it stays running (was told if alternator is bad, car would die after removed) and I've also gotten the alternator tested and they said its fine... I'm lost... Anyways Thanks a lot for your time!!!

Tyler

Last edited by Tylerleefalter; 02-14-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Battery light/ Power loss... Please help!!!

Originally Posted by Tylerleefalter
My battery light starts flickering
The alternator controls that light.

as well as my lights interior and exterior
Charging voltage is fluctuating

at or above 3000rpm
This fact is important.
I just replaced the battery.
Why? Was it bad?

Thinking it may be the alternator,
Good thinking.
but when i start the car and remove the positive battery terminal
Don't do that again. The battery acts as a HUGE capacitor to absorb voltage spikes, and you removed it from the circuit. You can fry all sorts of electronics doing that.

Back before the days of electronics and microprocessor controls, this was less of an issue.
it stays running (was told if alternator is bad, car would die after removed)
The test is all but worthless, it would only tell you if the alternator is completely dead.
It cannot tell you if the alternator is weak.
The engine will continue run on about 10 amps of current.
That means the alternator could be smoked and limited to 10 amps, and the engine could still run on it.

and I've also gotten the alternator tested and they said its fine... I'm lost...
How was it tested?

Did you carry it in to the Zoo and have them put it on that machine?

Or was it tested live, on the running car, tested at 3000+ RPM, WHILE the problem is happening??
(Even at that, the test only tells if the alternator is charging or not. You still have to figure out why.)

Wiring good and not shorted on the brackets under the intake manifold?

I don't have the answer. You need improved testing to figure out whether it is the alternator or something else, maybe in the wiring.
Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tylerleefalter is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I appreciate the reply, I went I believe the next morning and got it retested at a honda dealer... It was the alternator's voltage regulator was actually causing it to overcharge and essentially fry my battery so I replaced it (definately not there) XD. God those prices almost gave me a stroke lol...

Again thanks for the insight! now I'm off to find some new projects for the engine itself lol!!!
Old 02-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so I replaced it (definately not there) XD. God those prices almost gave me a stroke lol...
Definitely not like DangerZone prices, and certainly not DangerZone quality.

I've been burned too many times by the Zoo. I can't trust them for much.