Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk water leak after body shop repairs rear end damage...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WKD DRGN is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk water leak after body shop repairs rear end damage...

Hey all, I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex that got rear-ended badly and was taken to a body shop to get the quarter panel replaced as well as the bumper and deck lid and some of the rear lights. It's spring time and I'm noticing small water leaks in the trunk area but I've tried the whole climb in the trunk while someone sprays down the car and can't find where the leaks are coming from. Some of the parts came off a parts or salvage vehicle to repair mine and the leaks/water spots are always right under the trunk hinges by the wheel wells. I used to think it just happened from opening the trunk and the rain pouring in off the deck lid itself but I've opened the trunk with the car being bone dry and it still had the water spotting on the trunk carpet. Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Trunk water leak after body shop repairs rear end damage...

Bring it back to the body shop.
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

I've considered that but I learned the body shop kinda sucks and they've already done a ton of mistakes on my car as it is. In fact I already have to take it back to fix the paint on the deck lid cause they put the wrong symbols/emblems on my car after I told them don't put the "civic" or other "ex" symbol on so they ripped them off and took the new paint off with it! But I'm actually going to just take apart the deck lid and give them that instead of taking the whole car in to "make it easier" for them. I was actually thinking about taking it to a place that specializes in finding water leaks but don't know how to look for it on google?? I'm not finding any results nearby.
Old 05-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... not sure if there are places that specialize in water leaks but there probably are. The best way is to get into your trunk with a flashlight while a friend hoses the trunk down. That's how you figure out where the leak is coming from. After that you can fix the leak.
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Yeah I tried that already. Still couldn't find the leak might try it again, maybe my brother didn't spray all over th trunk and tail light area I have no idea...I was in the trunk lol. I ended up finding the place through the diesel mechanic friend again but they charge $150-$250 to find the leak!! I have to take it back to the shop first and see if they can find it.
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Inspect the trunk gasket and replace it if it's bad.

Also you can pull the trunk side panel off and inspect the rain drain tube(s), they can become disconnected over time or get plugged with gunk and derbris (where they come out the bottom of the car).
Old 05-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

more than likely the side rear window molding is letting water in (whichever side had the damage fixed). i dont mean the rear large windshield, but the smaller side triangle window. the black trim pulls out and there are holes that the clips fit into. i had water leaking thru there and i could never see where the water came in from the inside. i put rubber sealant around the holes and popped the trim back in, now im leak free for years.
Old 05-09-2011
Registered!!

Okay all sorry I haven't been back, I never know when I get replies and all. Anyway yeah about the window they were telling me to watch the window because Safelite supposedly removed and re-installed it. Whoever did scratched up all the window tint but I don't know if that's where the leak is coming from because it's leaking on the left side wheel well as well and they didn't take the window out on the left side. Anyway I'll be telling the body shop about it maybe today before I tear the deck lid off tomorrow and take it to them....thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 10-24-2014
Registered!!

haha49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WKD DRGN
Hey all, I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex that got rear-ended badly and was taken to a body shop to get the quarter panel replaced as well as the bumper and deck lid and some of the rear lights. It's spring time and I'm noticing small water leaks in the trunk area but I've tried the whole climb in the trunk while someone sprays down the car and can't find where the leaks are coming from. Some of the parts came off a parts or salvage vehicle to repair mine and the leaks/water spots are always right under the trunk hinges by the wheel wells. I used to think it just happened from opening the trunk and the rain pouring in off the deck lid itself but I've opened the trunk with the car being bone dry and it still had the water spotting on the trunk carpet. Any suggestions?
In the right side there is a vent chances are its open had same exact problem look behind the wheel well driver side under the bumper mine the metal was bent in leaving it stuck open that is the exact same thing that happened to me
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

hurttrunk is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2002 Civic was rear ended and a new bumper was installed BUT every since the accident if it rains I get a puddle in the spare tire well area.For the first "FIX" they put a guy in the trunk flooded the lid and flatly stated it was the trunk lid gasket and they could fix it. Next rain, new water next "FIX" found vent assembly at left quarter panel was the culprit (installed new $30 One) Next rain more water they diagnosed channel near rear window was letting water to leak in and this would require major labor to find and "FIX for sure. However FARMERS Insurance has not yet approved any supplemental monies for water leakage problems. In fact I think they will most likely say that there was "No Way" the rear end collision could cause a leakage problem .... ALL I KNOW is that I didn't have a trunk water leak before being rear ended and NOW I DO HAVE!! So has any one out there experienced water damage issues after being rear ended, if so how severe was the impact and how did it finally get fixed. I'm working with Anderson Behel in San Jose, CA does anyone recommend another body shop in the San Jose CA area for working on rear end collisions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!
hottrunk
Old 03-09-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Have one person in trunk and one person outside car. Use a mixture of dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a spray bottle. First spray exterior rear window around molding and then use compressed air from exterior around the rear window molding ( poly urethane seal). Leak will foam inside trunk. Try other areas like drain channels, rear lights, under bumper, top of bumper..etc.

If no leak found: remove rubber trunk seal, spray with soap and water mixture, use compress air, inpect for bubbles.