Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic lx cat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elciteeve is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic lx cat replacement

Vehicle: 1998 civic lx 1.6l non v-tech automatic trans. 4 door 100% stock (as far as I can tell since we bought the car with 70k on it.)

When the vehicle had 90k miles on it there was a crack in the exhaust manifold. I discovered the manifold can't be replaced without the cat. To me this is a design flaw. I want the option to replace just the exhaust manifold, or just the cat. So I installed a dorman exhaust manifold with a cat that bolts on (as opposed to the stock option which sells the two units welded together.)

Everything works fine and 7 years later, my CEL threw code p0420 at me. I replaced the O2 sensor (since it's the cheaper option for that code problem, and also easier.) No dice. Seems like I need to replace the cat.

now with 190k on the vehicle, 100k on the cat, here is my question. A.) This does indeed seem like a cat problem, yeah? B.) Does anyone know of anywhere that sells just the cat? All my searches come up with the exhaust manifold catalytic converter assembly. Or some sort of set. I can't for the life of me seem to find a way to buy just the cat.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic lx cat replacement

So I installed a dorman exhaust manifold with a cat that bolts on (as opposed to the stock option which sells the two units welded together.)
Buy this again?
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elciteeve is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that seems to be my only option. I was hoping maybe someone knew of a place to get just the cat. Seems wasteful to just toss out a perfectly good exhaust manifold.
Old 03-09-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elciteeve
Vehicle: 1998 civic lx 1.6l non v-tech automatic trans. 4 door 100% stock. So I installed a dorman exhaust manifold with a cat that bolts on (as opposed to the stock option which sells the two units welded together.)
You made a good choice by purchasing a "cat-back" (CC located futher back) which is stock on the EX and SI models of the 6th gen (1996-2000). The cat-back is less likely to crack and dissipates heat away from the engine.

Everything works fine and 7 years later, my CEL threw code p0420 at me. I replaced the O2 sensor (since it's the cheaper option for that code problem, and also easier.) No dice. Seems like I need to replace the cat.
Primarary o2 sensor? Which brand and model number o2 sensor?

now with 190k on the vehicle, 100k on the cat, here is my question. A.) This does indeed seem like a cat problem, yeah? B.) Does anyone know of anywhere that sells just the cat? All my searches come up with the exhaust manifold catalytic converter assembly. Or some sort of set. I can't for the life of me seem to find a way to buy just the cat.
A) Could be cat or incorrect o2 sensor purchased. Denso is OEM brand. If primary (upstream) should be this one:
Amazon.com: New Denso Oxygen Sensor 234-4099 Honda Civic: Automotive Amazon.com: New Denso Oxygen Sensor 234-4099 Honda Civic: Automotive

B) Ask a local junkyard to pull one for you or pull one yourself (cheaper). Other option:
Amazon.com: Walker 15863 Ultra EPA Certified Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 15863 Ultra EPA Certified Catalytic Converter: Automotive

Last edited by Wankenstein; 03-09-2016 at 07:40 PM.