Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

catalytic converter

Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wade is an unknown quantity at this point
catalytic converter

Hi I was hoping someone could give me a little advice.

I have a 2000 Civic. I had a cracked exhaust manifold, fixed with after market parts. Then after about 2500 miles the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership, and they are now telling me that the code indicates that there is a problem with my catalytic converter. They said that this may be due to the after market parts, and that they may not be compatable. They said that I need to replace the entire manifold because the cat is part of the manifold. Just curious if this makes sense, and if the problem is due to the after market parts, will this continue to happen once the cat is fixed.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: catalytic converter

You should have an extended warranty on your cat, that honda should have replaced for you in the first place.

Aside from that, the cat is part of the manifold as they say, and if the cat goes out, the whole thing needs to be replaced. You can swap your exhaust to the EX exhaust if you want, but you'll need everything from the manifold back, which makes sense only if you want to do an aftermarket exhaust or can find a EX exhaust for cheaper then the price of replacing your stock exhaust manifold (with the built-in cat)

The link in my sig to the exhaust swap will give you a general idea... you have a 6th gen, the write out is for a 7th gen.. but its mostly the same to my knowledge
Old 03-24-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ext warranty is only 8 yrs/80k miles on cat. im guessing the aftermarket manifold did not have the cat built into it or what?
Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wade is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the input, I appreciate it. So if I get this right you are saying that if I switched to the EX then the cat isn't in the manifold. Also do you think that the car would pass an emissions test?
Old 03-24-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Correct- cat isnt in the manifold with the EX... an as for emissions, you can probably pass by just putting a spark plug non fouler on your secondary O2 sensor to move it out of the exhaust stream to get better readings, unless the sensor is faulty in the first place... other then that, you should pass a simple odb2 emissions test, but in actuallity your car would still fail (O2 sensor nonfoulers are a band aid solution to the problem, not a true fix)