I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amplifier + New Ground Cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kaivorth is an unknown quantity at this point
Amplifier + New Ground Cables

Car: 2001 Civic EX Manual
Speaker: JL 10" Woofer
Amp: Alpine M500
Amp Kit I will be buying
Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit: Car Electronics

Questions:
  1. Is it worth getting new terminals? If so what are some good ones, relatively cheap
  2. In the picture, 1, 2, and 3 are the locations of the current ground wire, I'm going to make these all gauge 4 wire, any issues here?
  3. In wire 1, is that supposed to connect to the bolt I circled?
  4. The Orange wire looks like it was from a previous installation...going to replace that as well with another gauge 4 wire
  5. The number 5 wire, the positive cable that runs to the battery, is it safe to upgrade this to gauge 1 or even 0? Should I leave this one alone? I have no idea what gauge it is currently.
  6. What tools do I need to crimp a connector on the end of the wires? Soldering necessary?

Is there a special procedure I should follow to not electrocute myself? I've read through the stickies...

Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Amplifier + New Ground Cables

theres no reason to not upgrade all your ground wires with 0 guage this procedure is called The Big Three search that term. and holy **** #1 is a complete hack job look here https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-ii-pics.html

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-31-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

1.) The terminals you have look fine. May want to get a better positive one so that it will fit the larger gauge cable. Similar to this:

Doesn't need to be gold plated or anything fancy, just makes it easier IMO.

2.) Nope. 4 Gauge is good. Shortest distance possible.

3.) You #1 appears to be near your coil pack wires which are going where they should be.

4.) Good Idea. I would run it along the left side so you cant see it as much.

5.) Just leave it alone. No need to upgrade it since it does not effect the amp any and is already sized appropriately for the car.

6.) With the instal kit it should have a terminal on one end to connect to the battery then the other end will be just be stripped back and screwed to the amp terminal. For the ground wire it will be the same thing except you want to ground it the chassis of the car close to the amp. Less then 1 foot I believe is ideal. I used the bolt that holds the seat belt clip. Make sure to sand away any paint to get a good ground. You can buy crimpers if you would like but no need. Soldering would be for the smaller wires like for the remote turn on wire.

Just unhook the battery before beginning and you will be good. Its only 12V so it wont electrocute you but you could short circuit something or weld a cable to something if you don't disconnect the battery.
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

hay gonat look closely at #1or #4 its hard to tell but his wire is loosely wrapped around the area its not even bolted down.
Old 08-31-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ yea I couldn't tell from the pic but I think your right. It does look liked its wrapped around. That's not doing anything! Very rusted, also not good.
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

and what the hell is that yellow thing going through your battery tie down the battery isn't even tied down your pic is like like looking at a where's waldo book every time i look i see something else wrong. also what happened to member gearbox that guy was so informative i miss that guy no homo.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-31-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
theres no reason to not upgrade all your ground wires with 0 guage this procedure is called The Big Three search that term. and holy **** #1 is a complete hack job look here https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-ii-pics.html
Oh jeez, I might just stick with gauge 4....well see if the budget allows for gauge 0. Gauge 0 is just huge...

Originally Posted by GolNat
1.) The terminals you have look fine. May want to get a better positive one so that it will fit the larger gauge cable. Similar to this:

Doesn't need to be gold plated or anything fancy, just makes it easier IMO. What would a good crimper be for Gauge 0/4 wiring?

2.) Nope. 4 Gauge is good. Shortest distance possible.

3.) You #1 appears to be near your coil pack wires which are going where they should be.

4.) Good Idea. I would run it along the left side so you cant see it as much.

5.) Just leave it alone. No need to upgrade it since it does not effect the amp any and is already sized appropriately for the car.

6.) With the instal kit it should have a terminal on one end to connect to the battery then the other end will be just be stripped back and screwed to the amp terminal. For the ground wire it will be the same thing except you want to ground it the chassis of the car close to the amp. Less then 1 foot I believe is ideal. I used the bolt that holds the seat belt clip. Make sure to sand away any paint to get a good ground. You can buy crimpers if you would like but no need. Soldering would be for the smaller wires like for the remote turn on wire.

Just unhook the battery before beginning and you will be good. Its only 12V so it wont electrocute you but you could short circuit something or weld a cable to something if you don't disconnect the battery.
Lots of good help here! I'm looking at these for the positive terminal?
Amazon.com: Raptor PBT2P Raptor Battery Terminal Positive (1) 1/0 Gauge, (1) 4 Gauge, (2) 8 Gauge out Platinum finish: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Raptor PBT2P Raptor Battery Terminal Positive (1) 1/0 Gauge, (1) 4 Gauge, (2) 8 Gauge out Platinum finish: Car Electronics

I'm just confused on how I would connect #5 cable to this? Would I have to replace the wire anyway then? I'm assuming it's a one piece deal on that terminal and wiring.

hay gonat look closely at #1or #4 its hard to tell but his wire is loosely wrapped around the area its not even bolted down.
Yeah I believe it is wrapped around, it looked strange....Assuming it's "supposed" to be bolted by the bolt behind that?

^ yea I couldn't tell from the pic but I think your right. It does look liked its wrapped around. That's not doing anything! Very rusted, also not good.
And this is why I'm here! Awesome responses so far!!! Making this much easier to plan out.
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

honestly anything is better then stock gauge wire im not sure what they were thinking when they used that. if you look at the diy i gave you thats the proper location designated for that perticular ground wire not its current location.plus like golnat said the shortest distance between grounds is what you want not wraped around the battery like your current setup. and yeah platinum finnish sounds good to me even i don't have platinum finnish on my terminals im guessing bill gates has those.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-31-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

honestly anything is better then stock gauge wire im not sure what they were thinking when they used that. if you look at the diy i gave you thats the proper location designated for that perticular ground wire not its current location.
Oh wow, nice! This is perfect!!! Should I replace the bolts too for better contact?

If I got the Raptor Terminal thing I linked to my last post, would I need a new cable for the positive battery cable? I think the red plastic part is attached to the stock terminal block
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

nah you just need to remove its current location and crimp on the new one but be careful not to shock yourself or fry your wiring.just be cautious.
Old 09-01-2013
Registered!!

nah you just need to remove its current location and crimp on the new one but be careful not to shock yourself or fry your wiring.just be cautious.
You seem to be very knowledgeable in this, don't be surprised if I PM you in the next week haha
Old 09-01-2013
Registered!!

ive been there done that my sound system is still kicking from 4 years ago..im actually starting to grow out of it.
Old 09-01-2013
Prelude Owner

To attach the #5 cable to the raptor terminal you posted you would just need to cut off the OE terminal from the white wire that goes to the battery. OE terminal should be similiar to this:

You can just cut the insulation back stick it in the correct size hole and tighten the Allen bolt down to hold the wire.
Old 09-02-2013
Registered!!

To attach the #5 cable to the raptor terminal you posted you would just need to cut off the OE terminal from the white wire that goes to the battery. OE terminal should be similiar to this:

You can just cut the insulation back stick it in the correct size hole and tighten the Allen bolt down to hold the wire.
Oh okay that works. Any idea what gauge the stock one is? The raptor doesn't have a lot of expandable outputs. Want to make sure it has everything I need