I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Center Console Removal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Center Console Removal HELP

Ive been in the FAQs, ive been in my haynes manual, ive been in my crutchfield master sheet...

How do I remove my center console, to get to my radio? I have a 2002 coupe ex. Everywhere I look, i keep being told to remove the trim tab around the shifter assembly where it says P R N D D3 2. THERE IS NO TRIM TAB around it. Its just the console, and it meets up with the silver shifter assembly piece, and that piece isnt a tab, it goes enough ways down so that i cant stick a flat head under it and pry up. I just need to get to my radio. I got the e-brake section off (dont know why) and the two thin side peices off that go on top and around the console... but i cant get that shifter assembly part apart..

help guys?!
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice
Re: Center Console Removal HELP

If I understand you correctly you want to remove the console that is around the shifter, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a M/T but I will assume it is the same. What i did is use my finger tips (it is kind of difficult) but you pry the area just behind the cupholders and it exposes the area around the shifter. If you can take a picture of that area of the console for an A/T it might help.
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

hXc drummer23 will become famous soon enough

Did you try either of these DIY's?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rsion-2-a.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nda-civic.html
Old 01-06-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you need to first take off the thing with the cig lighter 12v socket by pulling it out so the clips detach. you may need to carefully pry it off. now do you want to take the piece off with the deck in it? then you gotta remove the two screws holding it to the metal and then the whole console climate control piece pulls out. for the bottom with the shifter, you gotta yank out the piece with the pocket in it and then there are screws under there and around the sides and rear by the cup holder.
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

you don't have to take out the center console to put in a head unit...i've done this countless times on different 7thgens. i dont know why the DIYs always say you need to.
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice

Gearbox is right.......you need to remove the trim where the 12v cigarette lighter is by pulling it out. Don't really worry about breaking anything but i'd pull it out gently Then there is a metal bracket with two screws. you can use a screw driver to take them out but its alot easier if u use a socket wrench...the screws are 8mm. Then gently apply pressure to the bracket and push up and out......and the center console will pop out. The console is held in place by those little metal/plastic clips. i think theres eight

Last edited by spudz904; 01-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

yea, put your finger in the cigerrette lighter to pull it out, let it hang into the passengers side, then unscrew the screws, and then find a metal bar (not the big one you can see) with your fingers, and push with all of gods will. the climate control piece will poop out and dangle.

edit *pop*
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice

I have pictures that will help you out unfortunately i don't know how to post pictures

Remove the trim by pulling on the edges

These are 2 screws that connect the center console piece into the bracket. One of them is far off to the right so its really hard to remove it with a screw driver

Last edited by spudz904; 01-06-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ clcik "go advanced", or upload them somewhere else and click the mountian/sun icon above the text box and it will make the code to view images externally hosted.
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

thx triz
Old 01-06-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

thats not an 02 coupe,but its pretty closeee.
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

yea its an 01 ex coupe...............figured it was close enough
Old 01-06-2008
Diamond Member

lol sockets + cup holders = only differnece. and your avatar just made you my hero. +1
Old 01-06-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea see mine doesnt look like that.. i gave up when it got dark, so im going to try in the morning...

ok so i dont have to remove the center part.. just the cigarette lighter part.. alright. ill try this in the morning and hey BEADEBASERR how can i do it without this? you said i could and didnt provide an explanation
Old 01-06-2008
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

because theres still room to unscrew the radio screws from there. theres just more room to work with if you take out the whole center console.
you can also pull out the bezel from the top, just dont use a screwdriver to pry it out
Old 01-07-2008
Registered!!

sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point

using the pic...

1. remove this trim piece (circled in red) with a flat head screwdriver
2. using the same screwdriver insert the screwdriver vertically and remove the big grey piece (the areas circled in yellow are areas where there is tabs and where to place the screwdriver.
3. unscrew the screws at the base of the cup holders and the top of the part you just removed in step 2
4. this part circled in Grey is one piece and will enable you to remove the radio without removing the whole center console.
5. use the screwdriver to pry the area in aqua away horizontally and once lose use the 2 parts to pull the whole part in step 4 away from the dash. you'll hear a crack but its nothing to worry about. it will all snap together when your done.

with that piece removed you can get to the 2 screws the other member posted pictures of. from there you can remove the radio. good luck

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	how to.jpg
Views:	2566
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	73443  

Last edited by sentbacktothesu; 01-07-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i had an 02 ex coupe, so i know what you've got. the first two pics don't look identical to yours, but the process is the same.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nda-civic.html

the cigarette lighter thing just pops out. i used a small flat head screwdriver to gently pry out around the top of it the first time. there's 2 clips on the top sides, and then two tabs at the bottom. after you get that out, the next pic is exactly what you'll see. take those two screws out. then the whole dash piece can be pried out. just be carefull prying against the vinyl part of the dash. a screwdriver can make a permanent dent in the vinyl, so be gentle.
Old 01-08-2008
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough

Is there a difference between 01-03 and 04-05? I never knew you guys had to go through all that to get your center console out. It takes me literally 5 seconds to get the center console out on my 04. If you want, I can post up some pics.
Old 01-08-2008
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough

there are differences with how to install between the 01-02 and the 03-05 interiors ... whit the 7th gen you can just pull it out like everyone says (from the cigarette lighter socket) but as for the 7.5 gen you will need to remove the shift assembly first (if you havent done this before) to get to the screws under the stock radio
Old 01-08-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kuNhoHan
there are differences with how to install between the 01-02 and the 03-05 interiors ...
yup yup