I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sub and Amp install problem. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Sub and Amp install problem. Help!

Ok... my deck has two pre outs on the back of it.
One is for Front Speakers and the other is for the Rear Speakers.

I trying to hook up my sub and amp but when I run the RCA cables through the Rear Speaker pre-outs... I get no sound. Same thing when I run it through the Front Speaker pre-outs. I called a guy at Future shop (Mobile install) and he said it should work running them through the Rear Speaker pre-outs but I'm still having no luck. Can anyone help me out?

I just bought this amp used... could it be the amp? Is there any way to test it?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats weird, my alpine unit has 3 pre-outs, front, rear, and sub. Are you sure there is no pre-out for a sub? Usually the rear out is just for regular speakers that go in your rear deck.
Old 05-24-2003

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah I'm pretty sure. I have a JVC deck and not an alpine deck. It's the KD-SX780 and apparently only the KD-SX980 has the sub pre-outs.
Old 05-24-2003
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
maybe there is an option in one of the headunits menu to turn on "sub output" or rear output etc
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like the amp to me but there is any easy way to test it. Make sure everything at the amp is getting power (B+, remote) and make sure the ground is good, also make sure the subs are hooked to the amp. When the amp is on, unplug the rca wires from behind the deck and touch the ends between your fingers. Make sure you are touching both the center post and outer conducter. If the amp is working properly you should get a light thump from the subs everytime you touch the end.

I know this method is my no means high tech, but its a very simple method to use when testing an amp.
Old 05-25-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
to test it plug a walkman or something into the amp to see if you get output
Old 05-25-2003

Originally posted by custom2k1
It sounds like the amp to me but there is any easy way to test it. Make sure everything at the amp is getting power (B+, remote) and make sure the ground is good, also make sure the subs are hooked to the amp. When the amp is on, unplug the rca wires from behind the deck and touch the ends between your fingers. Make sure you are touching both the center post and outer conducter. If the amp is working properly you should get a light thump from the subs everytime you touch the end.

I know this method is my no means high tech, but its a very simple method to use when testing an amp.
Dude you fu*king rock... I'm gonna go try it now... thanks for the tip!!