I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Positive/negative wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Validus is an unknown quantity at this point
Positive/negative wiring issues

I recently DIY 6.5 infinities in the front of my car... when wiring one pair I attached the green with black stripe wire to the negative and the light green to the positive... but according to the wiring diagram in the DIY ( which i didnt see until after i wired it) I have the wires backwards. It still plays. Is there any reason for me crack open my door again to switch those wires?
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

STang57 is an unknown quantity at this point
it will still play but not play with its full potential. do you notice if it sounds softer than the other speaker?
theres a term for it but i cant think of it right now. might make the staging or polarity diff?
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Your speakers should be ok. It plays cause you've completed the circuit. Current flows in and out so there is no reason for it not to play. I've wired speakers wrong like that in a jeep cause the wiring harnesses in the doors were changed by the company that installed the alarm. So I had no clue which was wire was hot or cold. I've haven't had a problem with his speakers yet. Personally I would go back in and fix it though.
Old 11-23-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
You could always flip the wiring at the amp to see if there is a difference. If there is, and you are inclined to do so, you can then switch the wiring at the speakers.

edit: but this will probably not work if you are not using an amp [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] I should have read closer!
Old 11-23-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
fonto's got the right idea, you could switch the wires behind the deck also, depends on what you'd rather pull apart, the door or the HU.
Old 11-24-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
You definatly want to change the wires so they are correct. When one speaker plays opposite of the other it is call out of phase. You will definatly notice a big difference in sound quality between in phase and out of phase speakers. It will be much easier to change behind the deck as long as you have an aftermarket cd player. Don't hack the factory wiring tho.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Yes, go fix it.

With one speaker wrong then they are "out of phase" with one another. Basically as one speaker moves out the other is moving back in.

It makes no difference if both are wrong or both are right, they just need to be the same. This applies to all speakers in general. Take 2, 4, 6, etc .. speakers, for best sound they all must be in phase with one another.

Think of powering speaker like plugging something into an outlet in your house. No matter which way you plug something in it still works the same.

The difference is subtle. Highs are smoother. Bass adds with one another rather than cancelling each other out. The most noticable thing will be a bit more bass performance.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

STang57 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Basically as one speaker moves out the other is moving back in[hr]
should this apply to subs also? my friend is running different brand subs. he has one JL and one RF and they seem to move in and out at different rates. i was thinking that it was like that cause of the different material and design of the sub which changes the effect of the movement or how stiffness
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Brands are irrelevant, all speakers being in phase is whats important.
Old 11-25-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
running 2 different subs at the same time is horrible in itself...
Old 11-26-2002

alex053 will become famous soon enough
You can acctually get better sound if one speaker (usually passenger side) is out of phase. it is harder to localize and will help to widen the sound stage. I was taught this by a Sound Q competitor when i worked for Xtant. There is electrically out of phase and there is accousticaly out of phase and they are not always the same. When the speakers are aimed right at eachother you can get cancelation and wiring one out of phase helps to cure this. Now if your not that into it, or your to lazy to do the trial and error to see which you like better by comparing with a test disc, just wire them in phase and be done with it. If you want to experimnet, i would suggest getting an IASCA test disc and trying it out. it is easy in an amplified system.