I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Fried a JL 10W3!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Fried a JL 10W3!

Ok, well, i took out my JL 250/1 and 10 W3 to go down to AC for HIN., when i reinstalled it, i didnt disconnect the battery, i know, i shoud have. But, anyway, when i reinstalled the amp, i plugged in the RCA's first, then the wire from amp to sub. After that it was the power wires, so i put one in(A) and when i put the other in(B), it sparked, so i took both out, and figured it was like a battery, so i put the other one in first(B) and then (A), and it sparked again, so instinctively, i pulled (A) back out, and thought oh well, and put it back in, yet another spark. Ok, so it was all fine and dandy for a week or two, its been close to the 90's the past week or two, and when there was no noise from the sub i was like what the he!!, so, i looked and the power light on the amp was on, but the thermal wasnt, so, to make a long story short, i took the amp in for waranty replacement, and he tested it in the car, at the power wires, and at the terminals on the sub box. He said "i think your sub is goin." I was like, really, how? He said that it happens from distortion, well, it doesnt distort a lot, so i was at odds w/ how it could be blown. So he gets me a new one and tells me, "Man, that thing was gone!" He said somethin bout the Voice coil being fried to the cone or somethin like that, but oh well, i got a new sub, and from now on im gonna disconnect the battery when i do stuff.
Old 07-02-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
I feel your pain I blowed my 12" W6 JL subwofer.
Is there a warranty on JL?
I don't have the sales recipt any recomendations?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
you can look at teh spider yourself to inspect for damage. if that thing is torn or anything, you know that you seriously destroyed that woofer.

otherwise, youll have to inpect the voice coil for signs of wear, usually done by the factory.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
also, if you delaminated the voice coil (extreem damage to your VC [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] ) you would be able to shake your woofer and it would sound like a slinky is bouncing around in there ;D
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
And Anotha One Bites The Dust [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]...