I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Auto lock issues after window regulator install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brady15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto lock issues after window regulator install

Hi all, this is my first post so bear with me. I put a drivers window regulator in a 2002 EX sedan the morning with zero issues. However, now that its all back together the auto lock is getting screwy. It either wont lock or if I lock the door manually, it wont unlock.
What Ive tried already: I unplugged everything and checked wires. appeared good. I felt the actual door lock rod. appears unbent but the lock does not physically go up and down like I think it should. I unhooked the battery and let it set for a while all with no results. Anyone ever have this issue? Am I missing something simple or did something fry in the autolock set up? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto lock issues after window regulator install

It either wont lock or if I lock the door manually, it wont unlock.
Got the door closed while you are trying to get this working? (or pull out on one of the handles so the lock can work)

Did you unplug the wiring from the door latch?
Damage the wiring to the latch?

Did you unplug the power lock switch?

Did the power lock actuator go bad (they do this)

Use a test light to check for electrical activity at the power lock connector?
(get a small #194 bulb, unbend the 2 wires from the base of the bulb, stick it into the 2 wire connector at the latch then operate the power lock switch. The bulb should light if it is getting both power and ground)
Old 08-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brady15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I know I'm getting power to the actuator. When I push the key fob or the switch on the door it tries to lock and door unlock but it only does one. I only unplugged the switch on the door when I pulled the door panel off. That's why it seems so strange to me, I didn't touch any other part of the door lock system or any kind of electronics.
Old 08-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So it only tries to go one way then quits?
If you wait a while then try the opposite way, it will try again?

Sounds like a bad power lock actuator, motor is too weak to run the full distance.