I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Pumping up the volume causes distortion...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Pumping up the volume causes distortion...

I just got a new headunit and if I turn up the volume too loud I get distortion. The max is 50 (whatever scale this is, sounds linear though). I listen to it without any distortion at 19. Past this I can hear the mids distort. Don't notice the lower and higher frequencies distort though? Anyway, I'm running aftermarket speakers capable of 60W rms up front and 80W rms in back. The headunit gives me about 20W rms off of the internal amp with a maximum of 50W. Now, my question is. Am I amplifying the signal to those 20W rms at a volume level of 20. Oh whoops! I think I am. The volume level corresponds with the amplification wattage. Maybe they designed it that way? Anyway, do you guys think that's true? If so, then I want an amp! I though it would be much louder than the stock headunit, but distortion sucks!
Old 06-10-2002
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I got a little lost somewhere through the post, but I do know that pumping the volume up like that is bad for the speakers and that they can blow. If you do want to keep the volume up, get an amp, even a small one, to power them. They'll sound better than ever.
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I'm reading this right Grey with aftermarket speakers even if there not wicked, your stock amp just doesn't have enough clean power to drive the speakers the same way they could the stock. For instance hooking up an amp to stock speakers will give you a cleaner sound than with the HU power.
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
grey you have a VERY simple problem. crossover! your speakers are playing frequencies they were not designed to handle, so you are bottoming out your speaker. make (or buy) a crossover network (you can even get them at radioshack)

do you have a pioneer deck? set teh FIE on as high as it will go (mine goes to 250) and get bassblockers for ALL your mids. that will fix that problem.

cutoff frequency might be a bit tricky, you might have to gues about what it should be. all speakers are different, but a good starting point is 120 for 5's, 100 for 6's, and 80ish for 6x9's (depends tho. i can tell you my green kappa 6x9's couldnt play 80, they flex too much)

a crossover will fix ALL yoru stereo mid and high woes!
Old 06-11-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: greg2k1
If I'm reading this right Grey with aftermarket speakers even if there not wicked, your stock amp just doesn't have enough clean power to drive the speakers the same way they could the stock. For instance hooking up an amp to stock speakers will give you a cleaner sound than with the HU power.[hr]
Yeah, I think you're right. I kinda figured it out myself when I posted, but I wasn't sure. I basically need an amp if I want to turn up the volume and get a nice clean sound.

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRabbit
grey you have a VERY simple problem. crossover! your speakers are playing frequencies they were not designed to handle, so you are bottoming out your speaker. make (or buy) a crossover network (you can even get them at radioshack)

do you have a pioneer deck? set teh FIE on as high as it will go (mine goes to 250) and get bassblockers for ALL your mids. that will fix that problem.

cutoff frequency might be a bit tricky, you might have to gues about what it should be. all speakers are different, but a good starting point is 120 for 5's, 100 for 6's, and 80ish for 6x9's (depends tho. i can tell you my green kappa 6x9's couldnt play 80, they flex too much)

a crossover will fix ALL yoru stereo mid and high woes![hr]
I don't think that's the problem. I have Pioneer Premier 3-Way's. The 6.5's in front have a frequency response of 30 - 32kHz with a nominal amplification rating of 60W (220W MAX). The 6x9's in back have a frequency response of 25 - 32kHz with a nominal amplification rating of 80W (300W MAX). Anyway, I can't find detailed specifications on these speakers now. I do remember that when I bought them I read something about built-in crossovers. Is that possible?

I think that I was wrong when I said, "I listen to it without any distortion at 19. Past this I can hear the mids distort. Don't notice the lower and higher frequencies distort though?". Now that I listen to it carefully I can hear all of the frequencies distort.
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
comapnies lie about what a speaker can and cannot handle. and dont believe that your speakers will play down to 25 Hz, cause i dont know a single 10 inch sub that can play 25 Hz above the -3 dB point without a HUGE box.

but if you hear ALL frequencies distort, there are three possibilities:

#1 dirty power (you need an amp)

#2 dirty signal (get a new CD, if its not the CD, then its the deck, keep it down, or get a new HU)

#3 your speakers are playing to their limits (very possible, companies lie, remember) and you would want to look into getting new speakers.

of all these, I would first examine your deck. If your recording was an MP3 cd, or a CD burned using MP3's, i would look at that first. make sure that it isnt the signal before i go blaming anything else.

most likely its a clipped signal. are you bass boosts all teh way up? is your equlilizer set to above sero for bass or treble or both? try backing off those settings first before you start replacing equipment....
Old 06-11-2002
DIY King

Yeah, I have a seven band equalizer on my HU. I know it's not the HU. It's brand new and it's a good one. Well, at least not the cheapest thing in the world. The CD is a burned one. Hmm... I should try pumping up the volume with another one. Good point. My speakers are very good, so it's not the speakers. They're the best that Pioneer makes. Actually, their sister company. Premier. I heard many good reviews about these speakers, but people also mentioned that it takes an amp to get the most out of them.

It's probably #1. I do need an amp! Damn it! I thought that I would be happy enough with the HU's internal amp. It's allright, but I want to really put my speakers to the test. That is why I bought them after all. Allright. I guess it's time to save up for an amp. Kinda stoopid too since I won't need the wiring harnesses I bought. I didn't go for the JVC SH-909 'cause I thought I wasn't going to get an amp. That HU has 4-volt pre-amp outs. The one I have, the SH-707 only has 2-volt pre-amp outs. You think this will make a huge impact on sound? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

no.
Old 06-11-2002
DIY King

Good.
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

=D [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Try first spending about $10 and getting bass blockers from a local audio shop. Their just capacitors that you wire inline with your speaker wire. Generally fixed for a 4ohm load and crossover at 6db/octave at 120HZ. this should take care of the problem.

But an amp is always the best solution. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

that was my first suggestion, but he later said that there was distortion among all frequencies, so it cant just be that......
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

But just that is a cheap solution that may put things into a tolerable range[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

bass blocker wont keep mids and highs from distorting......
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Could also be the install. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. Because like you said it's 90% Install. equipment is only 10% of it. SO get his system to sound 90% as good as a full blown sytem with sound processing, 200lbs of sound deadener, and $$$$ equipment.

Just bugging you here. An Amp is most definately the solution.