Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heater Core/Evap core cleaning out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015
got rice?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrOldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater Core/Evap core cleaning out?

Hello all,
I have a '97 EX with a quarter million miles on it, The A/C cools great (40*) but not a whole lot of air volume out the vents, All fan speeds do work, So I'm sure that after 18 years, the core's are probably quite plugged with lint, candy wrappers, and who knows what.
I pulled the glove box to see what the HVAC looks like. Uggh!

Is there a not so evasive and difficult way to access the Evap and Heater core's to back blow them out? Can I take out the blower motor to access the cores with a blow gun?..... Thanks.

Last edited by MrOldskool; 08-01-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater Core/Evap core cleaning out?

#1 is the fan motor turning the correct direction? If it was replaced with an aftermarket unit that one has to patch up the wires to make it work, it's easy to get them backwards.

Otherwise, I'd try pulling the motor and fan out and grope around in there and figure out if you can reach or see the evaporator core (mirror and flashlight), and maybe rig up small dia hose to the shop vac to vacuum the core off.
Old 08-02-2015
got rice?

Thanks Ezone, I'll give it a check, I know about the Squirrel cage fans they are made to rotate one way but will sorta work the other way....
Old 08-18-2015
got rice?

Update:
Pulled down the blower motor and found a few leaves inside, made sure the squirrel cage was rotating the correct direction.
peeked inside evap core box and could see more leaves, It was a tough job to get the blower motor box out to remove the lower evap cover, but with a few sliced knuckles and a lot of sweat I got it and found it packed with decomposing leaves, washed out the lower cover and drain, vacuumed and blew out the core. this job was a pain in the but well worth it. more cold and air volume.. and smells clean too.
Im sure there are many A/C's out there that could use a good cleaning...