Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AT reinstall and driveshafts won't go in all the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
estes53 is an unknown quantity at this point
AT reinstall and driveshafts won't go in all the way

Attached is the only information that the manual provided. Drveshafts are engaging, because turning one turns the other, but they are about 3/4" away from being fully in and no amount of turning and shoving helps. Hope someone out there knows what I am doing wrong.

Thanx, Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Untitled 1.pdf (69.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-17-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: AT reinstall and driveshafts won't go in all the way

It is probably getting caught on the set spring. Try turning it (1/5th increments) and pushing it in.

Not sure if it help but maybe put the trans in neutral.
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Did you see the snap retainer ring on the end of the old axle when you popped it out? Did you put the little ring on the axle yourself and did it appear correct diameter so it would go flush into the groove? I know when I pop them out, all it takes is a large screwdriver and the lever right out. You say 3/4" which is a lot. I doubt you even have the spline engaged and the snap ring is setting in the mouth. If I knew all was correct as far as correct ring, spline size and nothing in hole, I would bump it with a rubber mallet while holding it in. That will hold ring in below spline. With pressure on it, then you may have to turn it just a tad to align spline and it will shoot right in. Right now, I think ring is pushing it back and also only thing driving other side fooling you that spline is engaged.
Old 08-18-2015
Registered!!

estes53 is an unknown quantity at this point

That (mostly?) worked, now on to the next problem. The passenger side seal is leaking really bad. Not sure if I didn't get that side all the way in or I have messed up the seal.
Old 08-18-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Should be able to judge good side stand off as compared to leaking side. The seal area is a much larger diameter but you still need to keep it square till the spline is engaged when going back together. Sound like this job is kicking your butt..