Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Did I Need That New Computer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Did I Need That New Computer???

Help! I took my 2010 Civic in a few weeks ago because 1) cruise control was randomly disengaging, 2) the TPMS sign was coming on at random times, and 3) the "D" light would flash while driving (again, randomly). Dealership told me I needed a new computer, and that it wasn't safe to drive until I did. $800 later, I have exactly the same problems. I've taken it back three times and they said they have now put in "system updates". I still have the same problems as before all the work was done.

What's going on? I'd like them to put in my old computer and refund my money, as to me it clearly wasn't the problem. But.......can I be sure they'll reinstall in correctly and it won't cause other problems, and what is the car's problem to begin with?

Anyone have any insight they'd be willing to share?
Old 08-10-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Did I Need That New Computer???

They owe you a proper diagnosis.

They should start with the codes from flashing D light.
Old 08-10-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Did I Need That New Computer???

In anything other than a 2001 to 2005 civic I would say that the pcm failure is almost 0%. The only reason that 01-05 needs them is technician error causes pcm's to burn.

Where was the work done? Can they show you the codes that were present? It sounds awfully fishy.