Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic Completely Locked up

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blward6 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic Completely Locked up

I left my 2003 Civic parked in the driveway for 6 days and when I went to move it, it was completely locked down. No power, ignition, wheels wouldn't even budge (as if e-brake is locked)- totally immobilized. My non-dealer mechanic says it's a computer generated lock down that activates when the car isn't driven/started for a length of time, but I have left it for longer and this hasn't happened. Does this sound legit and is there a hack around it so I can avoid a costly trip to the dealer?

Thanks for any insights!
Old 09-09-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2003 Civic Completely Locked up

Originally Posted by blward6
My non-dealer mechanic says it's a computer generated lock down that activates when the car isn't driven/started for a length of time
What?!?

Dead battery? It is possible the parking brake is locked up.
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My non-dealer mechanic says it's a computer generated lock down that activates when the car isn't driven/started for a length of time,
That's the best bullsh!t line I've heard all day.

Dead battery, charge it up or jump start it.

Brakes rusted in place, it probably rained while the car sat. They will pop free once the car is running and you try to drive it.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

My non-dealer mechanic says it's a computer generated lock down that activates when the car isn't driven/started for a length of time
WTF?

i have left mine at the airport for two weeks before, came back and it started right up
Old 09-11-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna hop on the "what the hell kinda bs is that?" train. Find yourself a new mechanic or, if you have the capability, DIY fixes on your car.

I've left my car for months while I was deployed and it started right up. Granted, I disconnected the battery while it sat for more than a month, but anything a month or less I left the battery connected and it was fine.

follow ezone's advice. New battery, get a jump or charge it, and the brakes probably rusted. Get it rolling and it'll break loose.

Lol.. computer generated lock down. I'm pretty sure the only connection between the ecu and the brakes is ABS, if your car is equipped with it. Even then, it can't force the brakes to lock themselves down.
Old 09-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How much does your mechanic want to charge you to re-enable the car from the computer generated lock down?

I'll do it for half his fee, but you gotta get the car to me.
Old 09-11-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh man can you imagine how much backlash Honda would have gotten if they would have done something like that? The radio code pisses off enough people as it is.

.....and you should probably find a mechanic that has some clue about Honda's
Old 09-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMKendrick is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I just bought a manual transmission Civic that wouldn't roll either. Was the parking brake on? Mine was for about 3 months.

Just jack up the rear wheels and try spinning them by hand. On mine the drivers side spun but the passenger side was locked even with the parking brake released. I just had to take that tire off and smack the brake drum with a hammer a couple times to get the parking brake arm to release. the wheel started spinning, put the tire on it and drove away.
Old 09-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

I left my 2003 Civic parked in the driveway for 6 days and when I went to move it, it was completely locked down. No power, ignition, wheels wouldn't even budge (as if e-brake is locked)- totally immobilized. My non-dealer mechanic says it's a computer generated lock down that activates when the car isn't driven/started for a length of time, but I have left it for longer and this hasn't happened. Does this sound legit and is there a hack around it so I can avoid a costly trip to the dealer?

Thanks for any insights!
Ask your mechanic how much he is going to change you for "new computer"