I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Putting 3 way speakers in the doors,any good places for mids?

Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting 3 way speakers in the doors,any good places for mids?

Putting 3 way speakers in the doors,any good places for mids?Any advice from anyone on where to mount the mid ranges? I really thought about putting them in the rear side panels.I am putting in a SQ system using a Pioneer PRS880,a IDMAX sub , JL XR653s and another set of components,but I hate to put then in the doors and then the 653s get wet. I know I would had to fabricate something to go behind the plastic panels. So any advice or any threads you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2019
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Putting 3 way speakers in the doors,any good places for mids?

I would look into making a shroud as a rain guard for your 6.5" (on the opposite side of the baffle) and putting them in the doors. In most cases you'll get better midbass output with them in the doors.
Old 03-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuitsoft is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Putting 3 way speakers in the doors,any good places for mids?

It would depend on the crossover frequencies, but JL doesn't seem to publish them. Reading the manual, though, it sounds like the XR653 speakers can handle a little moisture, it's just the crossovers that need to be kept dry. There are also moisture guards you can install behind speakers, but I don't know what affect they have on sound.

As for midrange placement, without knowing the crossover frequencies, I would guess that mounting it as close to the tweeter as is reasonable would be best. In my 2002 BMW, the factory tweeters were in the sail panels (just like a 2-door civic) and the midranges were just under the inside door handles, where they wouldn't be occluded by a person sitting in the seat, or resting their arm on the door armrest. It worked pretty well.