I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2002 Civic Si - Starter does not work

Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philip54 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Si - Starter does not work

I cannot start the car. Last time that this happened the problem was a broken piece of plastic that was part of the clutch pedal switch.

This time the problem looks also related to the clutch switch, because yesterday I had to press the clutch pedal harder than usual to start the engine, but is seems a different problem. I did not find the broken piece of plastic on the floor and also that piece of plastic is only one year old. Any idea on what the problem could be and on any possible fix?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2002 Civic Si - Starter does not work

As soon as the clutch pedal is pressed the safety switch should be disengaged. Will have to ohm it out to make sure it is working.

Does it crank over?
Flashing green key?
How old is the battery?

Old 10-23-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Disconnect both leads of clutch pedal safety switch and jumper the leads with a metal wire. If it starts the switch is the issue. I left mine jumpered so it starts in neutral.
Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

I did it and the starter still doesn't work.
Thanks..
Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
As soon as the clutch pedal is pressed the safety switch should be disengaged. Will have to ohm it out to make sure it is working.

Does it crank over?
Flashing green key?
How old is the battery?

It doesn't crank. That is the reason for my post.
Could you please advise what is the difference between showing a flashing green key and not showing a flashing green key?
The battery is one year old and it was tested by a Honda dealer 2 weeks ago.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

The car was towed to a local shop and started immediately without any repair. I picked up the car from the shop and I got stranded the first time I turned the engine off! Does this provide any insight on what the problem could be?

If it turns out that the starter needs to be replaced, are aftermarket starters (for instance, from Autozone) a good option or I will have to buy a refurbished starter from Honda?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Junkyard is a better choice than aftermarket
Old 10-23-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Check for loose connections at starter (both positive and negative). Check all chassis and engine grounds for tightness and contact. Have someone start the car while you tap on the starter housing with a pipe or butt end of hammer.
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you fix it? I had to hit mine starter with hummer to start. In the end bought one from autozone who broke after a month. Luckily it comes with life time warranty.
Old 11-18-2018

Originally Posted by emich
Did you fix it? I had to hit mine starter with hummer to start. In the end bought one from autozone who broke after a month. Luckily it comes with life time warranty.
Lifetime warrantied parts are okay as long as one does the work themselves and it's a relatively easy part to change. Other than that they are hit or miss as far as quality but never as good as Honda Genuine (OEM).